svchost.exe

the old man 19:26 26 Nov 06

Can someone explain to me why in task manager I have 6 instances of this running. 3 in system, 2 in network service and 1 in local service. to me it just doesn't seem right.

skidzy 19:30 26 Nov 06

click here

Also Viruses disguise themselves as this,i would recommend you update your AV and run it.

birdface 19:32 26 Nov 06

click here same problem.

the old man 19:36 26 Nov 06

I use avg and update every day. I run it once a week and nothing has shown being found for a long while.

i have just done a complete sytem recovery and scanned everything and yet i have 7 instances of svchost running!

GaT7 19:43 26 Nov 06

That would be around right. I've 7 instances of svchost.exe (XP Pro) - locations of the file are as follows:

C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$
C:\WINDOWS\system32
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

If you find it in any other location you should be concerned. As skidzy' says it could be a virus. G

skidzy 19:57 26 Nov 06

Just to add,and ive checked.I have 5 instances running.

If in any doubt,do not disable any of the processes as it could cause windows to crash.They are normally needed.
However,look again under Task Manager and processes.If svchost.exe is using the cpu and cpu usage is high,try an online scanner such as

click here

Some threads here to put your mind at rest click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…