svchost.exe

Sir Phil 11:23 14 Apr 04

I am running Windows XP Home, and when I log on, I keep getting delays. When I check Task Manager, Processes, there are several copies of the svchost.exe file running, some are quite small, about 4,376k, but one of the copies varies between 19,000k and 26,000k. The user is the SYSTEM. This file seems to lock out out or severely delay my machine's functioning. If I end this process, then I can normally proceed with the use of the machine, connection to the Internet etc. Has any one any ideas what this process may be, and how I can delete it?? This also seems to create, ocassionally, a program on the desktop called simply "~", which is 294K in size. I have checked for viruses, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation.

Gongoozler 11:28 14 Apr 04

Hi Sir Phil, it would appear that several instances of svchost.exe is quite normal click here.

the ~ is do do with a program not functioning correctly Fe did explain it some time ago i seem to remember but it is not a virus
this may help click here

johnnyrocker 11:49 14 Apr 04

if you have svchost in capitals or dll in capitals in your processes they are both virus.

johnny.

keenan 12:11 14 Apr 04

As 'johnnyrocker' says and check spellings

click here

GroupFC 12:57 14 Apr 04

Are you sure about that? - I have five SVCHOST.EXE running and they are all in capitals! I am pretty sure that this machine is clean!

anon1 12:59 14 Apr 04

You should not have more than 3 instances of svchost running

GroupFC 13:08 14 Apr 04

Have you got further info as to why you should only have three? - in the "click here" posted by Gongoozler "Leo" had five too!

GroupFC 13:10 14 Apr 04

Have you got further info as to why you should only have three? - in the "click here" posted by Gongoozler "Leo" had five too!

johnnyrocker 13:10 14 Apr 04

absolutely, are they all spelt the same? and in capitals? i have 5 running on xp and none in capitals

johnny.

johnnyrocker 13:11 14 Apr 04

absolutely, are they all spelt the same? and in capitals? i have 5 running on xp and none in capitals

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…