simon17 09:39 16 Sep 03

When my computer boots up a number of different svchost.exe programs appear to be initiated.
One appears under the name NETWORK in the task manager. When I try and log onto my ISP this program goes into action and hogs all the CPU capacity. The result is that it takes 10 to 15 minutes before I can go to a web site or retrieve my mail. Cancelling this application before going online solves the problem, but is there any way I can stop this happening without manual intervention?

mark500 10:55 16 Sep 03

click here Read the list and you will see each svchost.exe entry. This man tells you what is safe to do with each entry. Be it on your own head though what you do.

dth 10:57 16 Sep 03

svchost.exe is the name of a process manager system that windows xp uses. Although there is also a virus that uses the same name (for obvious reasons).

It seems from your posting that Windows is trying to establish a network connection and this is using all your p/c resources. Is your p/c part of a network or stand alone?

What a/v programme do you use? Is it uptodate and have you ran a system scan recently?

dth 11:55 16 Sep 03

Have a look at the website shown by Mark500 or the one shown below:-

click here

When you start a p/c with Win XP it runs a numer of what it calls 'services'. It seems that your p/c is trying to run one or more of the services relating to a network and as it can't find any hardware (as you have a stand alone p/c) that is relevant it is getting confused.

dth 16:45 16 Sep 03

The entry on the website that I mentioned is under services.

You can set services to manual by following the steps below:-

start / control panel (switch to classic view if not alrwady) / administration tools / services

then work your way through the different services and if you find any running that you don't think are needed or could be causing your problem change the
setting to 'manual'. Keep a note of the ones you change just in case.

Then re-start your p/c and see if this sorts out your problem. If it does fine - if it doesn't have another look at the services that are running n your p/c.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…