svchost.com

Logov 20:38 17 Aug 04

Pccillin is constantly alerting me to a virus/worm called"svchost.com" located in C:\WINDOWS\system32. I know there's a ms file called svchost.exe which is needed to by the system. Pccillin cannot delete the file. I checked the running processes via Task Manager and have found four seperate proecesses called svchost running. All are different sizes. Pccillin gives me the warning that svchost.com is a "WORM_RBOT.HI". Also, I've noticed that whilst in Task Manager that "System Idle Process" CPU usage was 99%. In addition whilst viewing web pages my mouse is painfully slow and often totally unresponsive. Pages can also take an age to load. I've used Stinger but without success as it too fails to delete the virus.

I'm running XP Pro SP1. Any help much appreciated, what can I do?

zanwalk 20:50 17 Aug 04

I had exactly the same problem with this worm, and I ended up d/loading this program to deal with it:

click here

It worked!

zanwalk 20:52 17 Aug 04

I had exactly the same problem with this worm, and I ended up d/loading this program to deal with it:

click here

It worked!

Logov 23:42 17 Aug 04

Thanks for responding.
I tried Stinger as mentioned above but it too stated that the virus/worm couldn't be removed.

rawprawn 08:02 18 Aug 04

click here I have recently found that this proram is successful when others fail. it is slow but thorough.Download it free and see if it helps.

Logov 17:07 18 Aug 04

Thanks for the response.
That does seem to have made a difference for the better. However, originally I was getting 99% CPU usage from System Idle Process and that seems to be down to 0% but now IE Explorer is up to 100% instead. Any ideas anyone?

Androcles 17:36 18 Aug 04

Sorry to jump in but I think you may need to download and run this click here
|MG| Free Download - CWShredder 1.59.1 Regards.

hatrickj 18:54 19 Aug 04

Probably OT but there is even more reason for confusion as file names, before the extension, scvhost and svhost exist. From what I read the latter is a virus. Ther's plenty in Google to wade through on it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…