svchost show in UPnP ???

woofwoofbark 14:24 21 Oct 07

Hi , noticed Internet Connection under Internet Gateway and I clicked on the settings too see what it was click here to see the image i toook uing fastone capture , it says a program called svchost has opened ports.

Is this normal or something to worry about as I never opened these ports for the program.

click here shows what ports are open through UPnP.

Thanks for any advice

woofwoofbark 14:26 21 Oct 07

Im using Windows XP and McAfee Total Protection 2007.I ran McAfee but it didnt find anything.

Totally-braindead 14:35 21 Oct 07

svghost is part of windows and is needed to connect to the internet. But there are viruses which install themselves under the same name so you are right to be wary. Since you have anti virus and I assume its up to date I would think this is normal.
See if reading this helps any click here

brundle 15:44 21 Oct 07

UPnP is used to allow network devices to automatically configure themselves (including your PC) to allow communications, it's safest switched off, either the Windows Service or on your router.
It doesn't affect XP when it's off ,I don't know if Vista relies on it more.

brundle 15:46 21 Oct 07

Start menu/run,type

services.msc

press return

Scroll down to UPnP (not Plug and Play, that's entirely different) and select Manual, then Stop the service. Take a look next time you use the PC to see if something has started the service again.

brundle 15:52 21 Oct 07

Vista Network Discovery. If your PC isn't part of a network, disable it. click here
Or leave it now that you know what it is...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac