svchost being a mong

woodbexhill 18:27 11 Oct 03

When I turn on my PC, it boots fine. But - after a few minutes, it starts to go queer.

Sound stutters, games stutter, movies stutter and also when I Move the mouse it'll be smooth, then it'll stop for a second, then move, then stop and it'll keep doing this over and over. Basically, it makes the entire PC Sluggish.

HOWEVER If I close svchost Username: System with a memoery usage of around 20mb, the problem stops. BUT, this means I can't play mp3's, game sounds or movie sounds and also the Internet will not load any websites.

No idea why this is, solutions GREATLY APPRECIATED.

muppetmark 18:36 11 Oct 03

Just had a look thru my processes, don't have svchost in my user, I have network, local and system, there is a virus uses svch0st i believe, check Sophos click here just in case ?

Falkyrn 18:58 11 Oct 03

click here

Svchost.exe is just an easy name to say. What this means is that you have services running from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. There can be multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time.

Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and debugging.

Svchost.exe groups are identified in the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost

Each value under this key represents a separate Svchost group, and represents one instance of Svchost.exe. Each value is a REG_MULTI_SZ value and contains the services that run under that Svchost group. Each Svchost group can have more than one service_names extracted from the following registry key, whose Parameters key contains a ServiceDLL value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ service

If you go to Start --> Run and type command, you can find out what the svchost.exe files corrispond to.

(Windows XP) Once you have the command line up, type Tasklist /SVC.

From the figures given I have checked my own svc files and one is about the size you mention.

svchost is not a virus file itself .. although there exists a possibility that it has been corrupted by one.

hugh-265156 19:18 11 Oct 03

xp tells me

tasklist /svc is not recognised as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file

woodbexhill 19:37 11 Oct 03

same huggy :/

woodbexhill 19:48 11 Oct 03

i'm going to run some virus checks, but if they dont detect anything does anyone have any other ideas?

hugh-265156 20:10 11 Oct 03

well you could check for spyware click here this may be using up the cpu time maybe.

failing that update your sound and graphics drivers and shut down any other programs running when watching movies or playing music.

Falkyrn 20:41 11 Oct 03

I should have checked my source more closely (microsoft) this command only works in XP Pro where the recovery console has been installed,

old fogey 22:07 11 Oct 03

Please think about language when posting I don't think I am being over sensitive but as the father of a downs syndrome daughter I find the title of this thread offensive.

hugh-265156 22:19 11 Oct 03

drugs slang for downer i think.dont think woodbexhill ment any disrespect.

old fogey 14:14 12 Oct 03

huggyg71

Thanks it huggyg71 i didn't know that just proves i am an old fogey i suppose.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…