suspicious email from Facebook?

palinka 11:57 16 May 10

An email arrived from someone I know who lives near me here in the North West, with subject “Take a look at my photos on Facebook”. But it seems to me suspiciously like the situation where you receive a spam email from yourself - via someone who writes to someone, who writes to someone…. who has you in their address book and whose PC is infected with malware; etc, etc.
I think this because: the supposed sender of the email (call him X) is known to me but we have never exchanged emails except for timings of practices for a choir that we once both belonged to (defunct for at least 12 months); the sender’s address is not his, though the return address is correct.
In addition, one of the pictures is of a relation of mine who lives 300 miles away and has no connection whatever with X. And X would be unaware that this person is related to me.
I have not seen this particular photo before and from the details, I suspect it was taken at her workplace.
I do not use Facebook, and never have.
I will of course delete the email, but any advice on further steps?

birdface 12:59 16 May 10

There is a Facebook virus going about so I would not open it.
Something like this to look out for.

click here

Sea Urchin 13:07 16 May 10

but as you have already opened the pictures you may well have infected your machine. I would run your antimalware programs - particularly Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware.

palinka 13:37 16 May 10

thank you both. Will do as you advise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…