suspicious e-mail from "aol.com"

NickyK 14:54 18 Oct 04

I've received two e-mails from "aol-com". The first advises me that my e-mail account has been used to send a massive amount of "commercial" e-mail; the second advises me that my address contains "permanent fatal errors". Both e-mails have a dowload attachment which I haven't opened because my system gave me a pop-up warning saying the attachment contains "executable code".

AOl is my provider, and they say these are "scam" and "hoax" e-mails and nothing to do with the real AOL who never send downloadable attachments. I've reported them both to cosuk.com.

Does anyone know anything about these e-mails and their sender? And should I report them elesewhere than cosuk?

NickyK

Diemmess 15:06 18 Oct 04

There's nothing more you can do.

I've never(seriously)used any provider except Aol, and though like you I have seen Aol's standard warnings, I have yet to have this nasty email.

It would seem to have a phony source "aol-com" instead of aol.com? Even so, those who don't look might well have downloaded and opened the attachment.

It was a good idea to post in this helproom if only to remind others.

NickyK 15:08 18 Oct 04
  StellaArtois63 15:10 18 Oct 04

I used to be online with AOL and when they needed to contact me, they did by real mail to my home address. There are so many scams going on with Banks,ISP's and Ebay all sending emails about wanting details of your account, or making out they are just checking them to ensure they are up to date.The real firms will not send links or attatchments.If in any doubt do not open these emails or if you are uncertain then ring up the Bank or AOL to confirm this. On the television recently the Halifax were shown to have a website that would have convinced most people but it turned out to be a hoax. In my opinion the best way is to ignore the emails and let them contact you via real mail.

NickyK 15:16 18 Oct 04

Okay. Thanks to the above posters for the advice.

NickyK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…