Suspected hard drive failure.

archie330 19:39 26 Dec 07

I have 2 hard drives in my pc with usual configuration. One for the OS and programs and the second larger drive for data.
I am losing files from the second data drive.
The event viewer is showing error entry after error entry. The vast majority of which are Error 7.
I suspect my hard drive is dying am I correct in this assumption? If so any tips how to proceed, apart from the obvious one of installing a new drive.

MCE2K5 19:46 26 Dec 07

Like this, click here.

Drive is Kn****red.

Replace it, I Did, If inside 3 year warrenty.

Pamy 19:47 26 Dec 07

Go to the drive makers site and download their Diagnostic software (will fit on a floppy)

skidzy 19:54 26 Dec 07

Follow the above advice and consider running chkdsk click here and your error code and tips click here

archie330 20:55 26 Dec 07

You guys are great.Following the chkdsk link suggested by Skidsy I have managed to retrieve all my lost files(Whoopeedo).I have now stored them in a safe place, but I will still have to replace the failing drive won't I?

Pamy 21:00 26 Dec 07

Go to the drive makers site and download their Diagnostic software (will fit on a floppy)

archie330 22:42 26 Dec 07

Pamy, I did as you suggested, went to the makers site (Seagate), downloaded their free diagnostic tool and ran it on the affected drive. It found only 2 errors and cured them, so now I do not have to buy a new drive , and I got all my missing files back.
So, once again thank you very much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…