Suspected hard drive damage - how to relpace?

tamborineman 21:34 08 Oct 07

My Medion MIM2080 laptop (yup, no that's a bit rubbish, but it was cheap...) crashed (lots of error messages, then wouldn't load windows at all) recently. I then got a shop to reinstall Windows XP so that I could at least start the damn thing, but now I'm getting error messages again. Windows Messenger won't start without some message about a 'serious error', which causes it to close when I ask it not to send the error report to Microsoft. I ran chkdsk, like it told me to, and that froze in the middle of stage 5 (checking available space, I think). During chkdsk, a number of bad clusters were repaired. Would I be right in presuming hard drive damage? If so, how should I go about replacing it, i.e. which type to buy, where from, how to install?

I'm living in Sweden as well, and whilst my Swedish is good enough to order a few beers, it doesn't really extend to long technical discussions like this! Any help would be very much appreciated

tamborineman 22:32 08 Oct 07

The problem with the error messages also affects software downloads (I tried to get plugins for firefox and Adobe Reader) Internet Explorer (which did work beforehand)and, much more disturbingly, 3-D pinball...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…