Suspected Hacking

geewis357 21:48 10 Aug 04

I don't know if I an being paranoid but since I upgraded to broadband a few months ago I have noticed at times that I am uploading at the rate of 288kbps is this ok or should I be concerned, I am using XP home and norton 2004 fuly updated, could anyone show some light on this.

With Thanks.

johnsims 22:42 10 Aug 04

Doubt it is anything more serious that Windows and Norton (and perhaps some others) "phoning home" to check for updates etc. Many programs do this.

If you are really worried install a software firewall such as Zone Alarm and set it to ask before allowing outgoing traffic from all but IE.
This should at least give you some idea of which of your installed progs is contacting the outside world.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:48 10 Aug 04

Do not be on the net without protection your leaving yourself wide open to infection and spyware. Loads of good free programs

I recommend Zone Alarm as firewall AVG antivirus Spyware blaster + adaware + spybot search and destroy antispyware.

Firewalls :-
Kerio2 click here
Sygate click here
ZoneAlarm click here

Anti Virus :-
Avast4 click here
Antivir click here
AVG antivirus click here

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
CW Shredder click here

VoG II 22:57 10 Aug 04

You missed one! click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…