Suspect My Web Search!

TonyV 11:08 23 Oct 05

Recently, when trying to open the link from a Forum e mail posting that tells me that someone has responded to my thread, I go to a Web page that comes from "mywebsearch". It doesn't want to go directly to the PCA relevant page. There is also a link on the "my web search" page that asks "Why did I get this page?" Clicking on this I get a new window that says it is there because of a faulty url address or similar and to get rid of this, go to Settings/add & remove programmes and remove the application My Web Search. I do not have that on my machine! If I copy the link from the PCA email, and paste it in the Address box, it will connect fine. I've run Ad Aware and nothing comes up. There is nothing through Zone Alarm Pro or AVG Pro. Any suggestions as to why this should be happening?

Thanks

TonyV

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:48 23 Oct 05

First, uninstall the My Web Search option from Add/Remove Programs

1) Click on Start, Settings, Control Panel

2) Double click on Add/Remove Programs

3) Find "My Web Search" in the list of installed programs and click on Change/Remove to uninstall it. You may also want to uninstall any of the following items associated with FunWebProducts.

* My Web Search (Smiley Central or FWP product as applicable)

* My Way Speedbar (Smiley Central or other FWP as applicable)

* My Way Speedbar (AOL and Yahoo Messengers) (beta users only)

* My Way Speedbar (Outlook, Outlook Express, and IncrediMail)

* Search Assistant - My Way

4) Reboot your Computer and run HijackThis click here

5) With HijackThis, scan for and fix any of the entries shown above that may be remaining.

6) Next, open My Computer, Drive C, and double-click on the Program Files folder

7) Right-click and delete the folders for:

* FunWebProducts * MyWebSearch

8) MyWebSearch should now be completely uninstalled from your computer.

9) There will be some minor registry entries left behind by the uninstall, however these can be cleaned up by running SpyBot Search and Destroy or Ad-Aware SE or left alone.

TonyV 12:22 23 Oct 05

I do not have My Web search in the add/remove programmes. I don't have Funweb Products in my add/remove programmes. But, yes, I do have folders in my Programmes folder for both these titles. Mywebsearch has the following information in it:Folder for bar, Folder for srchasst. Bar has 3 folders in with 1 file in only one folder. That is s_pid.dat. Srchasst has 2 folders each with the same file mwssrcas.dll each of 56K. In the FunWeb Products there are 2 folders, Screensaver/Images each with nothing in them.

Should I take the bull by the horns and delete all those folders and then edit the registry to get rid of any reference to MyWeb Search and FunWeb Products?

Many thanks

TonyV

TonyV 18:44 23 Oct 05

I have deleted all the files listed above and been in to the Registry and deleted any references to areas listed. It seems to be OK now. The obvious answer is not to go and try and get any freebie screensavers!!

TonyV

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:19 23 Oct 05

Unfortunately most screensavers / ringtones come packaged with this sort of crap.

Glad you got it sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced