Suspect .exe in Task Manager

DJ-Garry 16:23 09 Sep 10

Hi guys :)

I happened to peer into task manager today to make sure a program I had been using had shut down correctly, and I noticed, right at the top of the list, a process running with no name. It just says .exe
CPU usage between 00 and 02, Memory 11,984 and the Description is Microsoft.
Right clicking on it showed me the location of this 19kb application as C:\Users\MyName and that it's been there only since 21/07/2010.
In the apps Properties/Details tab, it says it's an MS app Version 0.1.0.0 with an original fliename of svchost.exe
I can remember being told to watch out for bogus svchost.exe in Task Manager before.
Can anyone tell me if this is likely to be a dodgy one, or if this should be ok?

Thanks a lot, Garry

john bunyan 16:56 09 Sep 10

Worth a read:

click here

Also read Google re svchost.exe

gazzaho 18:20 09 Sep 10

If you right click on the .exe process and select Go to Service(s) it will show you which service is running the svchost.exe. From there you can check the service name on a site sich as (click here) processlibrary.

I've no idea why it just shows .exe instead of the whole svchost.exe process name though,strange.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…