Suspect dead PSU

Strawballs 23:12 03 Nov 05

A friends machine will not turn on, when the power button is depressed the cpu fan starts and one of the cd drives operates but nothing from the post scipt or hard drive but when I put put the hard drive as a slave in my machine it works and is accessable.

My feeling is that it is the PSU and I have a spare PSU from an older system that I have in the roof but the old machine has one less plug than the other one, it is a square plug that goes into the motherboardas an extra to the ATX plug.

Strawballs 00:45 04 Nov 05

^

TonyAA 01:12 04 Nov 05

"If your power supply does NOT provide an ATX12V connector you might be wondering if you can still safely run your motherboard. Well there IS a chance that the motherboard can get damaged, but we've seen situations where, even by accident, users have forgotten to plug in the ATX12V connector and yet they are running their systems just fine." I would think if you only ran what was necessary and didn't start playing games it would be ok just for a test.

Strawballs 22:52 04 Nov 05

I did try using the PSU without the ATX12v but it did not power up the system.
I did try unplugging all of the IDE ribbons and the HDD drive did fire up and the system shut down by pressing and holding the power button but as I plugged items back in to the main board it went back to the original state of only one of the cd drives opening and the system would only dhut down by unplugging it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…