Suse Users' Help Forums?

dublincity 03:12 14 Jun 05

I've just installed Suse 9.2 but because it won't (yet) detect my modem, I can't go online to register with H.Q.

I've found a few Linux Users' sites - can anybody recommend a Help Site as good as this one?

[This site is the only good one I've found in 2 1/2 years!]

octal 06:30 14 Jun 05

Suse forums seem to be a little light on the ground don't they? I use Xandros, I think the support is a lot better.

You haven't mentioned what type of modem it is, if its a Winmodem this site might help click here

The general consensus seems that Winmodems are notoriously difficult to get working on Linux and that external serial modems (hardware modems) work with any distro and forget about USB modems they just invite more trouble.

Sorry I can't be more help as I've no experience of modems on Linux.

scotty 10:57 14 Jun 05

Look here: click here

This site has links to various Suse forums.

Like you, I have installed 9.2 (from a magazine cover DVD) and have had difficulty getting on-line and also getting network to work. Network is almost there as I can successfully PING a Windows PC and vice versa. Will watch this thread to see how you get on.

dublincity 04:27 15 Jun 05

Hi - thanks for the help. The modem is an Intel. I've now managed to get the 2nd XP Pro OS to detect it but haven't yet gone back to the Suse OS - the 3rd OS on this PC.

I seem to have a few different threads going about Suse. When I get beyond the groundwork, I'll collect my thoughts (and list of questions!), start another posting and then mention it here before signing off.

dublincity 06:38 15 Jun 05

I've just been onto Suse but, after Windows terminology, I'm flummoxed with all the unknown words. Because I seem to have several threads running about Suse and have had advice from several people, I'll start another thread called 'Getting Started With Suse 9.2'. Apart from raising my own questions, that might be of more interest to other Suse users.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac