SuSe or RedHat?

J Bear 19:56 10 Jun 03

I'm interested in turning my pc into a dual boot machine. I've been using Unix in college and want to have a go at Linux. I want to buy a package for the documentation but don't know which one is best. What do you think? SuSe, RedHat or another? What's the best flavour of Linux?

Taran 20:19 10 Jun 03

There is no "best" distribution. They all excel at different things when used by someone who knows how to arrive at point B from point A.

About the easiest to install and use are SuSE and Mandrake. Mandrake are in financial trouble at the moment, but the userbase is huge so you will always be able to get help online.

Red Hat and Caldera are a mainstay in a business environment, but I'd stick with SuSE or Mandrake to begin with.

SuSE especially has a superb install routine with excellent hardware support and documentation. It also happens to be my personal favourite, so yes, I am prejudice.

Ask 100 Linux geeks and get about as many different answers !

J Bear 20:25 10 Jun 03

At this very early stage in my Linux personal development, documentation is very important.

Aol Hater 20:44 10 Jun 03

get mandrake click here i turned mine into a dual boot with this and it is very good execpt i need to get another compatible modem can anyone help click here

use mandrake linux it is great

zanwalk 20:48 10 Jun 03

I agree with Taran's comments above, SuSE comes with the best (of all the main distros) documentation - two good manuals came with my copy of SuSE 8.0, and it is certainly one of the easiest to install, so is a good starting point.

As you get used to Linux, you can then try out some other distros and have some fun doing so!

Young neil 21:09 10 Jun 03

SuSE linux is one of the most highly regarded distributions available.

SuSE linux comes bundled with literally thousands of applications. There are games of all different types, graphical programs, web browsers, chat clients, and the MS-Office compatible OpenOffice suite. The range is massive

Its is fairly easy to install and is rock solid as an operating system.....

I hope this helps you in your decision

Kitz E Kat 21:11 10 Jun 03

I got Red Hat 8 with a book, Red Hat 8 Bible by Christopher Negus published by Wiley for £37.50.
At over a 1000 pages how much documentation do you want!!!!
Its a pretty good book, and i found RH8 easy to multi boot with 2000 and xp.
Kitz E Kat

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…