SuSe Linux-- Installing and setting up.

spuds 20:20 16 Sep 03

Having just obtained the SuSe Linux Personal 8.2, I am seeking advice on installing this on my computer, and I would be pleased to receive any advice and assistance.

1) Do I require something like Partion Magic, or are there alternatives.
2)Is there a website for Linux, suitable for a novice to understand.

I am running XP Pro, with a straight 120gb h/d.

ams4127 20:28 16 Sep 03

Powerless is the best person to answer this.

However, I am running SuSe 8.1 on the same disk as XP home. SuSe installed itself onto a partition it created - I just accepted all the default options - and created a boot menu giving me the options of SuSe or XP on boot.

On my other machine I used Partition Magic 8 and created a specific area for SuSe because I had a much smaller HDD.

They both work fine!

Try a Google search for "Linux", There are loads of sites.

woodchip 21:18 16 Sep 03

As above use Partition Magic to resize the partition, i.e make it smaller by about 10Gb this will leave Free Space on your drive, DO NOT create a partition with this space, Leave it for Linux. Go into Bios and change the Boot so that it starts with the CD as the first boot device, then reboot with the Suse number one disc have a floppy disc ready and load LILO to the floppy disc, Just follow the on screen instructions it is best if you now what hardware you have got as it may not recognise it all. HAVE FUN.
PS You have to put the floppy disc in to start, use the arrow key and enter to select which OS

spuds 19:58 17 Sep 03

Sorry for the delayed response, couldn't get into the PCA site, after I made this posting.

Thanks for the help. I will do a Google search, and know doubt have further questions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…