SUSE Linux Installation

Duff Drinker 14:31 10 Nov 04

Having tried the 'run from CD' Linux distro Knoppix I would like to try a 'proper' Linux.

On one of this month's computer mag purchases is a SUSE distro together with installation instuctions including the following:

"If you're starting with a blank hard disk, YaST will allocate space for itself without any difficulty. If you already have Windows installed on your PC, the story is a little different. YaST gives you the option to either delete Windows, or shrink its partition. The latter option will reduce the amount of disk space that's available to Windows, and create an area for Linux. YaST's default Shrink setting worked well for us, so we'd advise leaving it on its own to organise the cohabitation of SuSE and Windows on your hard disk.
When you've finished the installation process and rebooted your machine, SuSE Linux will begin loading"

Does this mean that I will not be able to boot from XP without removing SUSE or is some sort of dual boot option installed by YaST ?

TomJerry 14:44 10 Nov 04

you can select which one to boot from there

Diodorus Siculus 14:59 10 Nov 04

An alternative, if you have a floppy drive, is to let it install the boot file to floppy and boot from there when you want to use SUSE - it saves any problems with writing the MBR on the hdd.

Duff Drinker 15:39 10 Nov 04

That sounds ideal, as I need to mainly use XP when doing stuff for work from home.

How do I arrange for that to happen during installation ?

Forgive the ignorance, but the only OS I have ever installed from scratch are Win 95/98 and then as the sole OS on the machine.

Diodorus Siculus 15:45 10 Nov 04

When I installed SUSE version 8.2 pro, I was given the choice of where to install the boot record. I expect it is the same for version 9 personal which I believe you have.

Duff Drinker 15:55 10 Nov 04

Thanks a lot - I'll give it a go tonight

dth 17:06 10 Nov 04

When you install Suse - it makes a series of standard assumptions from which you can amend. One of the headings will be 'booting' options - the default selection for this is to set up a bootloader (called Grub). You need to click on this option and press the edit option for the 'boot loader location' and select the floppy disc (fdo in Linux langage).

The end result should then be if you start your p/c normally it will load Windows - if you want to load Suse just start your p/c with the floppy disc in the drive.

Duff Drinker 11:46 11 Nov 04

SUSE installed OK - booting from a floppy too!!

Thanks a lot guys - can't wait to get exploring at the week-end.

dth 11:50 11 Nov 04

Well done. Suse is a great system.

Please post back if you have any problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple