Surrounded by idiots

neil_raj 12:11 02 Oct 07

A SOUND PROBLEM....

A friend of mine has taken another friends PC (NEW ONE)and re-formatted the hard drive because it was running slow! By doing this all programs have been deleted, no worries there, they have been installed, BUT the sound won't work..... Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices, nothing is there, it's all greyed out. It's an Onboard soundcard, there is no disk..... How can I get the sound back?

Any ideas please. Thanks, Neil.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:19 02 Oct 07

If you do not wish to join the idiots encircling you could you give us a hint as to the make of the computer or motherboard.

G

neil_raj 12:23 02 Oct 07

Says its a Star Microsystems motherboard and the PC is E-Machines from PC World.
Thanks.

d/l and run this to gain model no. etc
click here

lahorie 12:36 02 Oct 07

go into control panel> system>hardware> device manager.

Expand the sound options by clicking the + sign, it will give you an idea as to which sound controller is onboard, you can then serach for a driver for it.

I'm surprised you don't have a disc with your pc with the sound drivers on it.!

Lahorie

Grantrh 12:46 02 Oct 07

Wow thanks Raven
I have been looking for an app like this for ages!
Much appreciated!

neil_raj 12:48 02 Oct 07

Many thanks will try those, PC not with me but will do that tonight.

Thanks to all.
Neil.

wee eddie 13:03 02 Oct 07

Check that the Speakers plugged in and turned on (Mains as well as PC)

DieSse 15:39 02 Oct 07

If it's onboard sound, probably a motherboard driver will be required. This will have been lost too in the reformatting - possibly other motherboard functions too.

You'll need to go to the motherboard mfrs site and look for all the relevant drivers.

woodchip 15:43 02 Oct 07

Look at the Motherboard for a Chip that as Intel or SIS or Via etc it will have a Number. Make a note of Name and Number as you need drivers for this Chip

neil_raj 15:55 02 Oct 07

Thanks guys.... doing that

regards..... Neil.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced