Surplus regisrety entries

gogmagog 21:30 29 Aug 05

I notice that there are numerous entries like> of which many seem to realte to items that I have not accessed direcly myself.

I wonder if it is safe to delete them as they do not appear to be system ot other dangerous to remove items. Can I just delete and can this be done in bulk where several are listed consecutively?

Are there any procedures especially to follow to ensure they are really gone?

LastChip 21:40 29 Aug 05

Manually removing Registry entries can cause your machine to refuse to start.

You could try a tool like this click here to clean out your system, including the registry.

newearwax 22:13 29 Aug 05

Point taken. I ran CCleaner but they're still there. Is there any particular option I need choose with CCleaner to rid myself of the surpus enties?

In case it id of value to the further advice that may come. The entries are located in

HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Settings\P3P\History

BTW what is P3P?

LastChip 22:53 29 Aug 05

It maybe something like Kazaa or Limewire or something similar. I think it maybe a peer to peer program. Do have anything like that?

Incidentally, if these entires are in the "History" folder, it is probably OK to get rid of them. But please keep in mind, I don't know that for certain and I wouldn't want to be responsible for registry problems with your machine.

If you decide to take that route, make sure you backup the registry first.

woodchip 23:25 29 Aug 05

Best way is as it's History. Why not start Internet Options and remove Clear History, Delete Files, Delete Cookies. I do this at the end of each session on the net

woodchip 23:26 29 Aug 05

PS Internet Opitions in Control Panel

Skills 23:31 29 Aug 05

I use RegCleaner for my registry cleans haven't had a problem with it so far click here

bertiecharlie 23:41 29 Aug 05

If you've got Spywareblaster, and/or Spybot, you could be picking up on the protected items (restricted sites, blocked active x's etc) which are listed under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains.

bertiecharlie 23:51 29 Aug 05

Just ignore my post as that isn't the registry key in which you've found the items.

ashdav 00:31 30 Aug 05

P3P is a security protocol for websites click here

ashdav 00:35 30 Aug 05

and (more appropriately) click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…