Surgical Gloves

swapper 15:59 30 Nov 07

It has been suggested to me that I use surgical rubber gloves when installing anything into a PC, to stop static, is this correct please

anskyber 16:01 30 Nov 07

It will help yes by reducing the chance of electrostatic discharge. (from you to the pc not the other way around)

Andsome 16:02 30 Nov 07

You can buy a wrist strap that earhs you to the computer case.

click here

Mac70 16:29 30 Nov 07

I use the gloves as recommended by Nvidia. I dont feel confident with the cheap wrist straps for some reason.

Diemmess 16:36 30 Nov 07

In these litigious days you have may have to conform to best practice.

BUT

If like me you are not to be involved financially except to self and family, then a whole set of simpler rules can apply - after disconnection from the mains socket.

Simply touch the metal inner case of the computer now and then to ensure there is no static charge around, and carry on with the job.

1) Avoid standing a nylon carpet or mat and wear natural fibre clothing.

2) Nil cost, and no interference with a sense of touch from even the best fitting gloves.

3) It is not rocket science and most components once in circuit are safely grounded by that fact.

sunny staines 16:50 30 Nov 07

I don't use the gloves but can see they will prevent grease/sweat from fingers damaging chips etc. good idea would still use a static strap.

Pine Man 18:34 30 Nov 07

Can't understand why people use 'wrist' straps. The wire is a real pain when you are upto your armpits in a PC so I always attach mine to my ankle!!

swapper 20:14 30 Nov 07

Thanks everyone, I have a wrist strap but do find annoying at times (and the wire would not reach my ankles), whereas gloves once on and tight fitting would solve both mobility and any chance of a discharge?

woodchip 20:24 30 Nov 07

All I have ever done is, KEEP you fings away from all contact with the printed side and contacts hold things by the edge, After first turning off Mains plug and touch the computer metal chassis

laurie53 20:24 30 Nov 07

Use a pair of slaughterman's chain mail gauntlets, and get the best of both worlds!

swapper 08:52 02 Dec 07

woodchip, thanks, what you say is probably what the majority of people do, but knowing me, and the silly mistakes that I have made in the past, I wanted to know about the gloves and how sensible they could be or not.

thanks laurie53, thats the way I normally attack things!
We hear so much about static possibly causing problems that I have become a belt & braces man.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac