surges in cpu usage

colorado kid 22:20 20 Aug 03

I have a celeron 600 system on a gigabyte ga6wmm7 board running 98se and I'm having a problem with severe surges in my CPU usage. According to system monitor it goes from about 10% to 100% in 3-4 second cycles, even with only systray and explorer running. JSSeeker was found by Norton a few days before this appeared and has been quarantined ever since. New modem drivers had been installed the day before, but have been removed, ram had been added earlier on the first day of the problem but has been taken out again.
the hard drive has been scanned again with both norton and ad-aware and nothing has been found.
the computer is barely usable because the pointer spends half of its time as the hourglass, and typing is a nigtmare as it takes a few seconds for text to appear on the screen.
Does any one have any ideas on what might be causing this as it is doing my head in.
many thanks in advance.
c.k.

AMD 4 ever 22:27 20 Aug 03

Check your system resources, and VM settings.

The Sack 22:30 20 Aug 03

Shot in the dark.

Real one?

colorado kid 22:34 20 Aug 03

Sorry, but what are VM settings and how do I check them? - I have never played with those before.

Is there any thing i should be looking out for in system resources, can't see any conflicts or problem devices or things like that.
cheers. c.k.

colorado kid 22:37 20 Aug 03

I have real one but didn't know it can cause things like this. Is this something you have come across before?

canard 22:56 20 Aug 03

Have you deleted spyware from a program? I once removed the spyware from a disc of solitaire games and the kernel processor shot up to 100% every time I opened it afterwards.

colorado kid 23:54 20 Aug 03

I hope ad-aware would take care of any spy-ware for me. It did find a few dataminer references but deleting them didn't change the situation, thanks though.

AMD 4 ever
I have disabled all of the real player references from my start up menu using msconfig, but it hasn't made any difference. Do you know is there any way to maintain the functoinality of the player while geting rid of the problems?

colorado kid 23:56 20 Aug 03

that lst bit was meant for The Sack - apologies

colorado kid 22:38 21 Aug 03

Discoverd that one of my USB root hubs has gone awol from the system properties. The system looks like it was continuously trying to deal with the "unknown device" every few seconds. HAve forced it to recognise it as a problem device and all is back to normal, except that I have lost two of my USB ports - any body any good with them?? might start another thread?
a big thanks goes out for the posts. c.k.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…