surge protector

stupid question got a surge protector has 2 lights at the end one for power that is lit and one that says surge is this one supose to be lit as well never noticed before... green light.. just wondered if it was working ok..thanks

rodriguez 00:33 24 Aug 06

I think the surge light will just come on if there's a power surge to indicate that that something's happened. If anything, you don't actually want this light to come on because if it don't come on, there is no problem and your equipment is safe.

Belatucadrus 02:03 24 Aug 06

I'd double check, as the one I'm using is different, one green light to show the mains is on and a red to show the surge protection is still viable. A surge will blow the circuit and when it does the red light goes out. From that point there is no protection and it needs replacing, though it still works as a bog standard multiple socket.

wee eddie 08:23 24 Aug 06

Each has a green light, which indicates whether the protection is "On" or "Off", and a second (red on one, orange on the other)light, which confirms that the circuit is correctly "Earthed".

By each light is a description e.g. "Earthed"

SB23 09:07 24 Aug 06

Like wee eddie, I have a belkin and both lights signify that I am protected (green light), and that everything is earthed (orange light).

namtas 10:06 24 Aug 06

I think that you need to check, you have a differnt type, I have two and both are marked protection green light and earthed amber light. 18 months ago I had the green light go off and the query to Belkin was that surge had operated and now no longer protetecting, it was replaced by Belkin upon reciept of the old one FOC.

wee eddie 15:33 24 Aug 06

When someone decided to plug a 3kW Heater into it.

Belkin offered to replace it, but I decided that it was not their fault, and did not send it back to them.

SB23 15:58 24 Aug 06

Its worth checking, as suggested by namtas. My old surge protector also had a problem with the lights. I noticed one day that they were both very dim, I emailed Belkin to check, to be told the same day, send it back and we'll replace it.
A few days later, a brand new one was delivered.

thanks all for info problem solved light spose to be on...xx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now