surge protection on broardband

jon2 15:02 27 Jun 03

allthough I have surge protection on the mains power supply I was wondering what to do about the broardband connection as its differant from a normal phone socket. (NTL broardband modem)

Terrahawk 16:25 27 Jun 03

its advisable a recent thunderstorm blew mine but it could have been modem or worse a lot of surge protectors have telphone protection incorporated if this is the case you should hace alead from the surge protector to the phone point plug you filter into the phone socket on the surge protector then plug your modem into the filter and phone if you are running one off the same point

obbit 18:10 27 Jun 03

i would think that a call to ntl would be a good idea as you are right the modem connection is of screened cable from the tv socket.

i have surge protection on the power and telephone (ntl) but not on the broadband modem.
i think it would be highly unlikely that it's needed but better safe than sorry.

good question jon2

Steve- 18:43 27 Jun 03

The Belkin Surgemaster Gold series Distribution board has protected paths for Phone Modem, TV, and Broadband RJ45 connections.

SEASHANTY 20:19 27 Jun 03

Lightening strikes from above and is liable to hit telephone wiring. NTL cables are underground and protected from lightening strikes. Why on earth would you need protection in this case?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…