Surge Protection

ronalddonald 21:19 24 Apr 08

Ive never used a surge protector b4, ive ordered a new desktop and now im wondering should i use one. The second query i have supposing i used a surge protector plugged ino the main wall socket with an extension lead attached which has indidual on off switches. if i turned the switch of at the extension lead would the desktop be better protected from a power surge. Any ideas or thoughts greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

jakimo 22:18 24 Apr 08

It is always wise to have a surge protector,and unless your Internet connection is wireless, added built in protection for your phone line may save your modem from frying.

SB23 22:34 24 Apr 08

This, to me, is a no brainer.

If you are splashing out on a new pc, then spend just a bit more and get a surge protector aswell.
There are lots to choose from, but I personally use a Belkin.
When on, I know I'm protected, including my Bt connection, when I come off, I turn off and disconnect from the wall.
If there is lightening around always unplug from the wall, even with a surge protector you're not as protected as you may think.

Totally-braindead 22:37 24 Apr 08

Considering the small cost I agree with SB23 its a no brainer. You usually need an extension lead anyway so why not use a surge protection one as if you hunt about you can get one cheap enough.
I don't really see how you think connecting a second non surge protected socket will help. Switching it off would obviously but how many of us do that?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac