Surfairy? Not sure

micklemouse 15:18 26 Jul 05

I am trying to do an Express update on Microsoft critical updates but I keep getting a box come up with this heading; 16bit MS-DOS Subsystem.
The message underneath is as follows;

C:\DOCUME~1\"MY NAME"~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\SURFAI~1.EXE
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction CS:06ff IP:011d OP:65 63 68 6e 6f Choose Close to terminate the application

Any explanations would be greatly appreatiated

Total Care Support 16:10 26 Jul 05

This error is often caused be the corruption or deletion of one or all of the following windows system files; command.com, autoexec.nt and config.nt.

You may be able to rectify the error by expanding the missing files from the windows installation source, either the CD or i386 folder in the case of most OEM copies of windows XP.

Alternatively, as these missing files affect a lot of software installation packages the people at visualtour have packaged these files up to fix installation issues when these files have been deleted.

click here

Be aware however that this problem is often caused by some form of virus, spyware or Trojan. So although restoring the files will fix the symptoms, it may not get rid of the cause or stop it from re-occurring. So it is a good idea to do a virus and spyware scan to make sure everything is clean.

The full error message you have given is slightly different to the error message I would normally expect, so I would also suggest to delete all of the files in the temp folder you have listed and clear your Temporary Internet Files before doing anything else.

Jon.

micklemouse 20:11 26 Jul 05

Hello Jon

First of all I'd like to thank you for your indepth response to my plight. However; secondly I'm afraid I have followed all your advice but with no success. I have tried the tool you showed me and it did correct a file but which one it didn't say and it didn't make the difference I was looking for. I then went on to Smart Restore to disable Surfairy. Now when I try the Microsoft Updates there is no message box but instead my computer freezes the minute it begins to scan for updates; with no explanation.

I would like to add that today I did do a complete reformatting and reinstall of AOL. I use Windows XP and have installed the Service Pack 2 with a CD but so far I can not install any more updates. And I'm having a lot of trouble with my computer freezing in other instances when on the net but no specific cause as far as I can see is making this happen. Surely the regitry is not mucked up after doing a complete reboot already?

Clivuus 20:39 26 Jul 05

Surfairy is an error-page redirector implemented as an Internet Explorer browser helper object. When a domain name or 404 error is encountered, it redirects the browser to a specific Web site.
If you install Microsoft Antispyware it will be able to delete it.

VoG II 20:44 26 Jul 05

Is it a Packard Bell? click here

micklemouse 21:43 26 Jul 05

even if I do delete Surfairy it won't enable my Critical updates webpage to scan for updates

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…