Surf the net from tv

mstodge 23:43 23 Jul 04

Does anybody now if there is a device that allows you to surf the internet and watch movies from your pc on the tv. A bit like Hauppauge Media MVP Network Media TV Centre:
click here

I have the Pc upstairs and the tv downstairs. and i subscribe to a football channel online that has a few live games now and again, and i would like to be able to watch them from the comfort of my couch, not hunched over a pc.

GaT7 00:24 24 Jul 04

If it's any help, the Hauppauge Media MVP is available in the UK - click here for the retailers. At Ebuyer click here. HTH, G

mstodge 00:51 24 Jul 04

hi thanks for the reply.

the Hauppauge Media MVP doesn't allow me to surf the net.

GaT7 01:01 24 Jul 04

OK, I had no idea.

Have you seen NTL's Internet via TV? click here. Wonder how good it is, especially speedwise & what the subscription terms are like. May be worth enquiring with NTL, plus posting a query about it here or on the ConsumerWatch forum. G

mstodge 01:16 24 Jul 04

thanks for the reply. the ntl is not what i'm looking for really. I shall keep searching

€dstowe 06:57 24 Jul 04

A television screen doesn't have anywhere near the definition required to be able to use it as a computer monitor and if you are expecting to be able to read small size text, forget it.

Take a close look at your TV screen from about the distance you normally use your computer and see the very poor resolution yourself.

I'd forget it if I were you.

lightfeet 12:10 24 Jul 04

You could consider a Netgem Freeview Box which gives access to the internet from your TV as well as receiving all Freeview channels. However as Cdstowe says, the resolution on a TV is poor & I’m not sure that you would be able to fully enjoy the football.
Incidentally I recently bought my Netgem from Makro for just under £40 + VAT in their sale (I think they are still available out of sale for an extra £10) It’s an excellent piece of kit for receiving Freeview & you can program the unit with your own ISP phone number. It came with a full size remote keyboard in the price for easier access to the Internet

SEASHANTY 12:45 24 Jul 04

Netgem Freeview box info from Radio & Telly at
click here

Stuartli 13:19 24 Jul 04

Best solution would be wireless broadband and a laptop that you can use on your lap whilst watching the TV soccer.

Whilst on the subject of Hauppauge cards, Scan of Bolton's TodayOnly page this weekend combines a Hauppauge PVR-350 with a Teac DVW58D DVD±RW Writer Combo for £116.33 including VAT:

click here

mstodge 15:46 25 Jul 04

Thanks for the replies lads.

I have a plasma tv to view the net, which has a vga input. I was thinking of buying a very long vga cable and connecting it that way (missus wont be to happy though)

the problem then is how to i use the keyboard and mouse. another very long cable do you think.

is the Netgem Freeview Box ok with broadband?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…