Suppressing update messages

Tycho 12:43 PM 17 Apr 11

My wife is has a Standard User account on my Vista HP Laptop. She is not very computer literate and does not know how to respond when appications or Windows asks her to approve or disallow ugrades/changes. Can I suppress these messages on her account?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:32 PM 17 Apr 11

Open User Account Control Settings by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type uac, and then click Change User Account Control settings. Set to

Never notify

If you're logged on as a standard user, any changes that require the permissions of an administrator will automatically be denied.

If you select this setting, you'll need to restart the computer to complete the process of turning off UAC. Once UAC is off, people that log on as administrator will always have the permissions of an administrator.

johndrew 13:36 PM 17 Apr 11

You may find that suppressing such messages also affects your account as you will be using the same software. I suggest you tell her to always click the 'not now' or 'no' option as you can always manually update later. If this doesn't suit, have a look at: link text link text

There may be other options for specific software but you will need to look at each to determine what is available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to watch Adobe Max 2015: See Adobe unveil new Creative Cloud features for Photoshop,…

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…