Support for XP windows expiring

gel 12:24 13 Mar 14
Answered

Hello I have an old dell lap top which runs XP windows After 8th April support for XP windows apparently expires I may use this lap top for browsing only Can any one suggest a free Operating system that I could download to a memory stick so that I can try it Thank you Gel

rdave13 12:37 13 Mar 14

I have an old netbook that also runs XP, it has an old firewall, Avast Malwarebytes and Spywareblastrer on it. I'll still be using it to surf well after April. In fact I'll still be using it until it decides that enough is enough.

I don't know enough about Linux but I suppose you could try running a live CD of a version just to see if you'd like it or not.

AroundAgain 13:14 13 Mar 14
Answer

You might like to try Ubuntu. I've recently installed in on an old XP desktop and, even though it was the first time I've installed it, and I wouldn't consider myself anywhere near 'experienced' in installing OSs, I didn't have any problems.

I downloaded Ubuntu from here, then followed instructions to burn to DVD as ".iso" file and then installed, via this disc, to the older machine.

It's a bit different from Windows and, to me, seemed a bit more like Mac OS in many ways. However, considered pretty safe re virus/malware etc.

Certainly worth investigating and, yes, FREE

gel 17:01 13 Mar 14

Thank you very much for your comments They are most useful and I will give them a try gel

imendpc 17:07 13 Mar 14

My answer would be that since that you use it for browsing then I would have thought it is irrelevant whether support has expired or not. Just continue t use it. But you may or should have moved your secure browsing to more recent operating systems. Like the other poster, Ubuntu is very easy to install and to use. I installed this on a laptop just 2 weeks ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced