Support (lack of) for Windows XP Home

Tiscali 06:18 18 Dec 03

I bought a PC from Watford Electronics last July, and emailed them to ask about a problem with Windows XP. No reply, so I emailed Microsoft in the USA and they replied: “Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service. If you are using Windows XP and it was purchased outside of North America, your best resource for assistance is the Microsoft subsidiary in United Kingdom. There are significant programming differences between North American and localized versions of software. You will be best assisted by the subsidiary that specializes in your specific version.”

So I emailed Microsoft UK, and their response was that because the software is OEM (original equipment manufacturer) then support is provided by the manufacturer.

Two more emails to Watford Electronics, with no response. I have just found the email address for the managing director, Shiraz Jessa, so will try him.

Witman 06:34 18 Dec 03

What is the problem, maybe we can sort it on here?

Tiscali 17:11 18 Dec 03

I have asked about this before but the replies were only partly helpful. So heer goes again.

My OS is Windows XP Home version 2002 service pack 1. I can't get Applications to work. Hardware Resources, Components, Software Environment and Internet Settings all work now, but none of them worked before I fixed
that problem.

When I try Applications I get - Can't Collect Information. Failed connection to this computer. Check to see that the Winmgmt service is running.
I have checked that Windows Management Instrumentation is Started/Automatic.
Event Log and RPC are both Started/Automatic.

How can I get Applications to work?

I don't know if it's any help, but when none of the System Information categories were working I had the following problems.

Msinfo32.exe from Run didn't work. I got this message: "Can't Collect Information. Cannot access the Windows Management Instrumentation software. Windows Management files may be moved or missing."

I got the same message if I tried via the Help & support centre, Pick a task, Use tools to view your computer, Advanced system information, View
detailed system information.

I found an MSKB article that deals with this:

click here;en-us;323209

It mentions 3 services that if disabled or not started may cause this - Event Log service, Windows Management Instrumentation service, and Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service. I checked that these services were all enabled
and running/started.

I found another Internet article that said that deleting the Repository folder in Windows/System32/WBEM may solve it. Tried that, but unable to delete some files because Windows was using them. But this may have fixed
the problem in that it resulted in Hardware Resources, Components, Software Environment and Internet Settings working, but NOT Applications.

Also, if I tied Advanced system information services, I got Generic failure at 100%.

If I tried My computer information, I got Generic failure at 16%. Same for View status of my system hardware and software.

For Find information about the hardware and software installed on this computer, I got Generic failure at 9%.

For View a list of MS software installed, I got Generic failure at 66%.

How can I get Applications working?

leo49 17:24 18 Dec 03

Has this machine ever functioned properly and if so when did these problems start?

Chegs ® 17:29 18 Dec 03

I have an XP Pro cd,it does a similar thing when I installed it.I gave up and bought a Home cd,as sorting each prob just led me onto another problem,and when I upgraded my hardware,the easiest option was just buy another install cd(not ideal,but I knew of one very cheap,as its owner prefered 98se)

Stuartli 17:47 18 Dec 03

The information that Microsoft gave you is perfectly correct regarding support.

As Leo49 asks, was the system ever working correctly as you have had it for some time and it would be difficult to raise any serious complaint now under the circumstances?

Tiscali 12:47 19 Dec 03

I only had reason to use Msinfo32.exe about two weeks ago so I have no idea whether it was working between buying the PC last July and two weeks ago. I don't want a refund/replacement PC - I just want support for this product, which I assume I have paid for in the total price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…