Superfast Broadband snail pace Wifi

Salamander7 21:14 10 Jun 15

I have a Toshiba laptop Windows 8.1 with a Qualcom Atheros AR 956x Wifi card. I had Fibre Optic Broadband up to 40mbps and the laptop got around 3Ombps. I have now got Superfast Fibre optic of up to 75mbps but the laptop Wifi can barely mange 15. So I get faster broadband but the laptop has got slower. Is there a setting that needs changing? I get the full 75 on my desktop computer attached by cable to the LAN. I also have another Laptop which achieves around 50mbps so I know it is not my router which is provided bt BT. Any ideas?

Salamander7 12:37 11 Jun 15

Anyone? I am desperate!!

onthelimit1 12:45 11 Jun 15

It's odd that the other laptop is OK, as I was suspecting a change of wireless channel might have helped. My next step would be to try a different wireless card or a USB dongle. I have had problems with Atheros cards in the past.

mole1944 14:24 11 Jun 15

Download wi-fi analyzer to your smartphone this will show your channel our on and i suspect others are on the same/similar channel,this gives you co-channel interference so move to a different channel.It's like trying to listen to a conversation in a room full of people difficult,move to an empty room and presto you can hear clearly the conversation.

Salamander7 15:07 11 Jun 15

Thanks folks. So when my Broadband speed increased the WiFi channel was changed automatically? I have now noticed my laptop now uploads quicker than it downloads! It just seems strange the laptop WiFi worked fairly well on a 45mbps but cant cope with 75.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced