Supercalc

Switcher 03:31 28 Apr 05

I use supercalc but like most DOS programmes only prints to LPT1 M printer only has usb. Is it possible to buy a parallel to usb device or how else can I get the DOS program to print to usb port.

octal 07:24 28 Apr 05

I'm just wondering if a different approach might be better and make the USB work in DOS, which can be done click here the Supercalc program will have to be changed to recognise the USB though, I'm not sure if that can be done.

octal 07:28 28 Apr 05

I'll just add that link is mainly for external drives via the USB but it does prove the point it can be done, so a bit more investigation might find the answer.

Arthur Scrimshaw 09:08 28 Apr 05

supercalc - thanks for reminding me, that was the first spreadsheet I ever used back in '85 ( I think) :-)

dogbreath1 10:36 28 Apr 05

A slight digression. Switcher, I hope you don't mind a little meandering! I also still use Supercalc. Quite a while ago I posted a thread here seeking a method for converting .cal files to enable them to be run in 123 or Excel. I also researched the net and got one or two 'leads'. However, the matter was never resolved. At that time, VoG™ who frequents this forum (and is an Excel maestro;)) suggested that the files would probably have to be rewritten. Although still unresolved, the snippets floating on the net made me think that there still might be a way to achieve this even if it is only a work around. If you have any useful info. on this topic I would be very pleased to hear from you.

pj123 12:38 28 Apr 05

Do you get any other save options? like .csv or does it only offer supercalc format?

I have only ever used supercalc on an Amstrad PCW9512 which came with a dedicated printer.

Another option, maybe is to get a cheap secondhand parallel printer just for supercalc.

In fact some Epson printers (one of mine for example) have both parallel and USB connections.

compumac 14:44 28 Apr 05

Reference importing Suprcal into Excel. I have done this for a very large bakery company albeit some three or four years ago. I certainly do not remember anthing difficult about this but I shall have to dig out the files and come back to you.

dogbreath1 14:53 28 Apr 05

That would be very kind. Cheers!

dogbreath1 15:01 28 Apr 05

It may well be that compumac's response might provide you with another option:)

compumac 15:13 28 Apr 05

I seem to remember that at the time I was using Supercalc, Lotus 123, Excel and also Borlands (??? can't remember that far back). I do recollect that I was having to do a lot of work in one and export to another product. So that the details as below are probably correct as I do not remember it being difficult.

Excel could import from Lotus 123, so that firstly I exported from Supercalc to Lotus, then saved it as a 123 file then imported it into Excel and when into Excel saved as an xls. There was some probabilty/possibilty of losing the format but the figures were all there and all(?) you needed to do was to check that the formulae imported also carried across. If I do remember I think that the only area of concern was the true carry over of formulae. But knowing that, you were able to identify the possibilty of a problem and could remedy that situation.

If I can rack my brains any further will come back.

Gemma 15:36 28 Apr 05

Excel 95 could import Supercalc files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…