Superbudget PCs - are they reliable brands?

rickus 20:58 08 Jul 05

These are the top 10 from PC advisor:

click here

I am thinking of something similar to the spec of the second choice from Watford. Having looked around a bit it seems that Watford have a reputation for pretty shoddy customer service. Are any of the best buys from companies you can trust for decent service? If not, where does one go?

I am happy to spend £500 if necessary. Don't anything special for games, graphics or music, but am hoping to get something reasonably up to date and reliable with a decent 17" flat screen.

See that many PCs come with MS Works. I currently have Office 97. Will that load onto a current PC?

SANTOS7 21:04 08 Jul 05

click here
not to shabby for £500 quid

Belatucadrus 00:04 09 Jul 05

click here Dell special offers are usually worth checking out.

dublincity 00:15 09 Jul 05

My first PC's were free from the government - that scheme has since been abolished.

After a couple of years, when I'd learned enough to want a better PC, I asked a local, 'corner-shop' maufacturer to custom-make a PC to my own specifications. I needed advice from more experieced users when drawing up the specs about chip, memory etc., etc.

The PC cost about 1/3 what I'd have paid in the High Street, i.e. about 250.00 pounds instead of 750.00. My advice would be to find a 'small' builder, get a quotation - then compare prices.

Graham ® 09:13 09 Jul 05

Acer Aspire T120E from Ebuyer click here

I set one of these up for a friend - excellent quality. Read the reviews.

You'll find 17" TFTs at good prices, too.

961 09:18 09 Jul 05

Dell internet offers are hard to beat and the quality is up with the best

Forum Editor 10:34 09 Jul 05

can mean a lot or very little.

There are two major factors which influence whether or not machine ownership will be a pleasant experience or a nightmare:

1. Hardware configuration. Because all machines are built using components manufactured by other companies, once you know which components are inside it's a relatively easy task to check on their reliability/performance. There are the subtleties of compatibility to consider of course, but given a collection of industry-standard components it's pretty difficult to make a bad computer - unless sloppy assembly and post-build configuration rear their ugly heads.

2. Post-sales service. If your computer goes wrong after you buy it you want to be reasonably sure that you can phone the supplier and get prompt and efficient help. You're protected by consumer legislation of course, but that's a limited amount of use when you have a sick machine and the supplier doesn't respond.

If you buy from one of the big-name suppliers you are fairly certain to get a decent customer-service response, and you'll know that the machine was built by people who have done it hundreds of thousands of times before, so build-quality is likely to be good.

Give me a first-time computer user and a choice between a new computer from Mario's Magic Megamachines in the hight street and a low mileage secondhand machine by Dell, or Evesham or Mesh etc., and I'll recommend the big-name every time.

spuds 11:04 09 Jul 05

PCWorld have a good range, which are usually readily available for close inspection in-store. They usually have a price range to suit most pockets, and there is a possibility of freebies being offered in a package deal.Check their website for special web exclusives.

Dell also offer different incentives and regular special deals, but watch some of the discounts offered as Dell seem to have a tendency to offer the same specification machines at different prices, depending where you receive the offer from.I would also add that Dell have a world wide reputation, especially in commercial sales, and this usually brings good aftercare, but Dell configurations and upgrades can be a little costly.

dewskit 11:10 09 Jul 05

Worth checking out click here
they often have HP, Compaq, Toshiba and other branded machines on offer which have been rebuilt by the makers and come with a full 12 month manufacturers guarantee.

I have bought from them several times and they are efficient and have good customer service

rickus 16:04 09 Jul 05

Thank you for the many replies.

I liked the look of the Acer deals - the downside from the reviews on the e-buyer site is that they tend not to supply the disks for XP.

Have found a local supplier who sources Acer and tells me he can match e-buyers prices, does supply the disks and can alter the spec for me if required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…