Sun Office Suite Professional

Grambo 15:34 20 Mar 04

Saw this on ebay. Claims that 'Sun Office Suite Professional is a Microsoft Office compatible
office suite software package for Windows that
includes word, excel, powerpoint, and frontpage
compatible programs that open, edit, and save
Microsoft Office and HTML documents'. All for £7.95?? Anyone tried this? (No Im not a seller, just interested in the excel and powerpoint)

Diodorus Siculus 15:57 20 Mar 04

It is pretty close to MSO; PCA did an evaluation of it using members of this forum and people had mixed reactions to it. Personally I found it good, but I don't go in for much of the advanced features.

It will depend on the version though; version 6 is good, version 5.2 less so.

Taran 15:57 20 Mar 04

Can you tell us the version and exact product type ?

If it's StarOffice 6 or, even better, version 7 then yes, it is an excellent suite and will outperform the needs of most users.

It can deal with all MS Office files apart from Access databases but be warned, if you regularly use Excel workbooks with complex macros or VB programming underpinning the spreadsheet these will not work properly in StarOffice. Cell based calculations work fine in most cases with a very odd hiccup now and then, but StarOffice cannot handle VB/VBA properly.

Aside from that yes, StarOffice can open, edit and save as all the common MS Office file format types for spreadhseets, Word documents, PowerPoint files and similar.

PCA ran a StarOffice 6 evaluation project some time ago and the results were interesting to say the least. A brief summary of the findings of that project are that it is a comprehensive suite with some impressive features and capabilities but it sometimes proves quirky in use and the help files could be better.

For general work it's fine. I still run StarOffice 6 on one of my machines and if you get a copy you can legally install it to five PCs and the same CD will install to Windows or Linux computers.

Hope that helps.

Taran 15:58 20 Mar 04

Snap !

;o)

Diodorus Siculus 16:00 20 Mar 04

Taran

Snap? On thoughts maybe. On comperhensiveness of answer, I never match up though...

:-}

edstowe 16:00 20 Mar 04

Before you part with any money, have a look at Open Office -it's MS Office compatible and is what Star Office is based on. Best thing about is it's FREE.

click here

Belatucadrus 16:05 20 Mar 04

Also check out Openoffice click here this is a free version of Star 7, but without the database. You can also look up 602pro click here another freeware package worthy of consideration.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…