Suicidal at final hurdle, PC like a Dodo.

Epirb406 18:58 29 Jun 03

Hi all, have been dealing with a new PC all weekend. Hard work, learned a lot, Fdisk, Partitions, DCC's, sound cards, graphics cards etc etc etc.

PC spec here click here

Finally, this evening, all installed, running lovely and like a rocket ship compared tis tis old machine.

Opened box to install modem (Done many times before) installed moden, tidied up, got cup of tea, pushed on button ......and nothing, no phut, sparks, no boot, no beeps, nothing.

Removed modem, no difference, dead as the proverbial, if the mains is un plugged, then reconnectected, when the power button is pushed the processor fan twitches but then nothing.

Please please please some words of wisdom, if not then sympathy, all my savings are in a lovely brand new case which does nothing and I have lost a whole weekend.

Thanks in advance,

a VERY depressed Epirb.

Valvegrid 19:02 29 Jun 03

May be a faulty power supply, I know it's new but it can happen.

Paul

jazzypop 19:08 29 Jun 03

Can you remove the front of the case, and try pressing the switch that would normally be activated by the on/off button on the case?

As you are getting some activity (fans etc), it may simply be that the case button is not fully depressing the actual on/off switch that sits behind the case button.

If that does not work, look very carefully for any leads that you may have inadvertently dislodged when installing the modem.

woodchip 19:09 29 Jun 03

I would say PSU as shot it's bolt, after extra load put on it

Epirb406 19:10 29 Jun 03

Have checked for any switches I may have inadvertently knocked and can't find any.

PSU has socket for mointor and that still works but, yeah, seems suspicious, but why then??

Epirb.

woodchip 19:11 29 Jun 03

PS you could try this it may get to bios, remove power plug's from EIDE drives remove sound and modem card. try to see if any life

-pops- 19:19 29 Jun 03

I've had this same thing happen to me. In my case there was a fault in the PSU which would supply sufficient power to get the basic system going but anything at all extra on that (in your case the modem) burns out that particular part of the unit. As one part is burnt out, the PSU drops into fail safe and shuts down completely to prevent any furhter damage.

So, fairly certain its the power supply. You should be able to get another under warranty but they aren't expensive, get one with plenty of ooooomph in it!!

Brian

-pops- 19:20 29 Jun 03

PS it didn't damage anything apart from itself.

Epirb406 19:25 29 Jun 03

I took off front if case to check button.

Pulled wires off mother booard to check individually and learned a lot about USB ports, wrong wires!!!! Off to the manual, put them back right.

Took off wires for switch and checked with muti meter for continuity, switch defintly working.

Really think I have been through looking for leads I could have touched, don't think I have.

PSU is 350w, with this spec, would I be over loaing it? And with the PC on the desk in front of me with the sides off would I not have expected to hear something if the PSU has gone splat?

Epirb (Glad people are interested!)

woodchip 19:28 29 Jun 03

You may have blown the board with the USB on wrong

Epirb406 19:37 29 Jun 03

No, that was afterwards when I was trying to check the switch wires were on correctly when I made that cock up, woodchip!

PSU 350 W Pops, shouldn't that have been enough?

Epirb.

PS looks like a nightmare to change, is it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…