Suggestions for remote access via broadband

Mark-335400 13:34 17 Nov 03

Can anyone recommend a programme that will allow me to access my pc at home whilst at work. I currently use PCAnywhere via modem but as I am currently on NTL broadband at home and BT Broadband at work I have tried to configure the system to make use of the FREE highspeed broadband connection but have got nowhere. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Home= NTL 150k, Win XP, Norton a/virus + firewall
Work= BT Broadband 500, Win 98, Norton a/virus + firewall. (I have checked out symantecs webb site for help with pcanywhere but to no avail)

Chegs ® 13:45 17 Nov 03

Not sure if it will work via the net,but I use a prog called Real VNC.( click here ) to control my daughters puter upstairs(as she is only seven and unable to use XP maintenance tools)

Chegs ® 13:47 17 Nov 03

What is VNC

VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing. It is remote control software which allows you to view and interact with one computer (the "server") using a simple program (the "viewer") on another computer anywhere on the Internet. The two computers don't even have to be the same type, so for example you can use VNC to view an office Linux machine on your Windows PC at home. VNC is freely and publicly available and is in widespread active use by millions throughout industry, academia and privately.

Wizzle 13:59 17 Nov 03
  tbh72 15:33 17 Nov 03

VNC is truely excellent.... Thumbs up here!!!

Mark-335400 15:45 17 Nov 03

thanks all for the replies, I will try VNC first, purely because it was suggested first and then Wizzle's suggestion if VNC fails, Just as an after thought are their any firewall "hurdles" that will cause VNC to not work as I configured pcanywhere what I thought was correctly but with no success,,,, ps the "works" computer goes through a router, does this make any difference??

Thanks

tbh72 15:52 17 Nov 03

I use Zonealarm, the first time a program tries to access the internet ZA kicks in and say's would you like allow VNC to use the net. I just selected yes and dont get prompted again.

VNC by default makes you enter a password which you can change at anytime to prevent unauthorised access to your pc.

I think you'll be impressed, it's just like sitting infront of the remote PC.

tbh72 16:07 17 Nov 03

VNC allows any operating system connect to any other operating system. It's also free & easy to use. Connection is allowed through the internet which makes it extremely useful and configurable.

Chegs ® 16:12 17 Nov 03

RDC when I used it meant I had to be able to accept the connection then allow the user to "Take Control" by running upstairs.It also only allows connections thereafter for 30 days,meaning that even tho' the pc's ARE able to remain on and connected for this length of time,every 30 days daygo would have to run home accept the connection then backto work to send the "Take Control" message,home again to allow this then backto work to "play" with the remote pc. :-)

Chegs ® 16:50 17 Nov 03

I followed your link and RDC and Remote Desktop are one and the same,to setup Remote Desktop is as I said above,reading that link says it does exactly the same as Remote Desktop.If it does the same job,I assumed it would need 3rd party to "allow" :-)

Chegs ® 16:51 17 Nov 03

for RDC read Remote Assistance. (told u they were similar) :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…