Suggestions for PSU rating

terryf 09:32 23 Nov 06

I am considering a PC with the following components - GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 775 Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, Gigabyte GV76G256D-RH (Geforce 7600GS) graphics card, DVD burner, DVD Rom and 2 hard drives. I am not sure what the rating (wattage) of the PSU should be, any suggestions please as I don't want problems in the future caused by the PSU 'running out of steam' but at the same time don't want to over-specify the PSU. The mobo manual says 350w minimum, graphics manual doesn't give anything except min PSU 300w but I have no experience of the combined system component requirements.

Technotiger 09:34 23 Nov 06

Hi, I would recommend 500w.

cheers.

vinnyT 11:05 23 Nov 06

Take a look at the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator page, just input the specs of your pc (you can play around with increasing the specs to see what diff it makes to have, say, 3 hard disks and a better spec video card), to find out what size psu is needed.

click here

Whatever is recommened, make sure that you buy a good make, ie Tagan, Enermax, or Seasonic (the latter often gets the best reviews).

Hope this helps.

terryf 13:40 23 Nov 06

Thanks vinnyT, I will look as soon as I get a round tuit

vinnyT 13:57 23 Nov 06

Welcome

Pamy 14:07 23 Nov 06

you cant beat a good big one in your price range

Totally-braindead 15:18 23 Nov 06

Theres no harm going for a larger rated one than you need. Get a good make one as has been suggested and also get a modular one, then you can disconnect any leads you don't use, makes it easier to fit and helps with the airflow for cooling. 450 watt absolute minimum would be my suggestion but I think you would be better with at least a 500 watt one as Technotiger has suggested.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced