Suggestions for a new RAID system

i want to set up my system with a RAID array. but im having trouble choosing the right hard drives.I have pretty much decide on two Plus9 80Gb drives,but my question is this: wich is better to have a 2Mb buffer of a 8Mb buffer??some peolpe say 8Mb doesnt work well with RAID but others say otherwise!if someone has tryed making arrays with any of these drives,or even has knowlege of how to set up RAID for oprimal perfomance,any advise would be much apriciated!!!

flecc 13:14 05 Apr 03

Forgive me questioning what you're thinking of doing, but if you are a personal user, it might be wise to seek other opinions on using RAID rather than the setup.

Did you know that on average applications in a personal computer, RAID 0 will gain you about 1%, which is within the measurement error zone! On non hard drive intensive applications, many of which we use as personal users, a RAID 0 computer can be 7% slower than with it switched out and using one HDD.

If your intention is to use RAID 1 for mirroring only, then that's OK of course, as it's a good safety system. As for RAID 0, I think it belongs in the servers it was designed for, where hard drive usage is truly intensive.

Have a look at this link for further detailed comment from RAID experienced people:-

click here

Taran 13:46 05 Apr 03

flecc - you resurrected that one. I'd forgotten all about that particlular thread; it all seems so long ago !

mahalamata - The buffers can indeed cause certain issues, depending on which type of RAID you decide on.

Buffer size, on its own, is largely academic since drive performance relies on so many other factors. If you read the reviews and test benchmarks on drive performance you often find that smaller buffer drives outperform larger buffer drives. Likewise the much vaunted RPM speeds sometimes throw up a raised eyebrow or two, when you find a slower RPM drive outperforming a faster one under test conditions.

You have to think very seriously about what your intended RAID system will be used for to justify it, and you have to decide which version of RAID most adequately meets your needs once you have identified them.

Data backup in almost all domestic environments is still best done using two hard disks with one slaved to the other and your data regularly copied over to it. You can even get dedicated third party software solutions that do this on the fly, backing up multiple changes to edited douments as you work - allowing instant rollback or recall of earlier versions.

If you post a bit more information about your itended use, one of us may be able to directly advise further, but because the different types of RAID are intended for such completely different purposes, don't expect a useful answer unless you supply some details.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…