Suggestions for backup programme

amyfleur 12:00 16 Jan 07

Suggestions please for backup programme to use on 2 PCs.

Both PCs have CD/DVD drives.

I want to backup both desktop and laptop pc's onto the same DVD+RW disk and add incrementals weekly or so.

Must be able to add data / photos to the same disk but backing up from 2 pc's and obviously restore to both pc's if necessary.

Migwell 16:18 16 Jan 07

Is there not a program that is suitable in the downloads section of this site. I have downloaded quite a few bits and bobs from PCA and found them very good.

AlanHo 16:28 16 Jan 07

I have used used Second Copy for about three years and find it excellent.

click here

Splodge 16:31 16 Jan 07

Easier perhaps to back up them separately onto two disks.

I can envisage some sort of momentary error making a complete horrocks of both otherwise.

I use Acronis, which is the easiest to use and gives the most options.

I have one internal HD on XP and the second on Vista.

I backup XP to a USB hard drive and, very occasionally, I change the drives over long enough to back up the Vista. I leave the drive hanging on a couple of books and change the jumpers!

Even so I have had horrible errors do some damage, none fatal!

Splodge 16:31 16 Jan 07

Easier perhaps to back up them separately onto two disks.

I can envisage some sort of momentary error making a complete horrocks of both otherwise.

I use Acronis, which is the easiest to use and gives the most options.

I have one internal HD on XP and the second on Vista.

I backup XP to a USB hard drive and, very occasionally, I change the drives over long enough to back up the Vista. I leave the drive hanging on a couple of books and change the jumpers!

Even so I have had horrible errors do some damage, none fatal!

Splodge 16:34 16 Jan 07

sorry, a anti-virus scan started up and I didn't know whether I completed the post

FreeCell 17:07 16 Jan 07

I take an incremental back up using Retrospect which came with the external hard drive, but it's never quite straightforward to recover individual files. So for the past year I have also been using SyncBackSE on three PCs to a common network shared hard disk. We then save all email, contacts, My Documents, and other important files automatically on timed basis during the day and on shutdown.

click here

You can use the same software to synchronise files across the PCs as well so it offers different options to the normal backup programs.

amyfleur 22:15 16 Jan 07

Thank you for your suggestions. I will have a peruse of the Second Copy and Acronis etc. websites.

I do have a complete backup of My Documents (laptop) (on an external HDD via USB) which I keep on a separate partition from my C drive. I have tried to make a backup of my C drive (desktop PC) onto the HDD as well, but keep having problems with that scenario.

I also, separately, backup my precious photos (grandchild) to DVD disk (in the region of 3,500 now and growing) as a secondary fallback. Currently I cannot backup my photos onto DVD from both PCs as the programmes on each are not compatible. My ACER laptop has NTI backup & CD\DVD maker. My eMACHINE desktop PC has Roxio CD/DVD maker, and they do not like each other, hence the decision to buy a new backup programme which I could install on both PCs.

After backing up my photos from the laptop for the past year: today when I went to do my usual incremental backup, the NTI programme tried to format the DVD disk and hence wiped the complete disk.

Fortunately I do, of course, still have all the photos on my laptop D drive and on the external HDD.

Anyway, I wanted to buy a new backup programme to load onto both PCs so I can transport photos between both of them. I mainly use the desktop for printing etc. And the laptop for editing etc. I do have a 2Gb flash drive to transport photos and files between the 2 machines but still want another complete permanent backup on DVD disk.

This is rather verbose I know but you will see why I wanted another backup programme and why I still want to use DVDs. (I should add DVD+RW)

Iā€™m hoping to move into the digital camcorder market soon ā€“ more research needed for equipment and programmes before then. I use Photoshop Elements for my photos ā€“ I thought perhaps Photoshop Premiere for the movies?!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017