suggestions about problem i have with HDD

The Transporter 22:38 03 Jun 03

Hi all.

I have an 80GB drive split into 9 parts.

Last week I tried an Antivirus scan and it crashed when it got to the last drive. I thought nothing of it, restarted the pc. Scanned that particular drive manually and everything was fine.

I keep copies of all my word documents etc on this drive. For University etc. Today I tried to burn these files onto a cd-r. It crashed 3 times, causing everything to freeze and lock up.

I fiddled around, tried system restore (XP Pro), tries burning completely seperate files, on a different partition. Which worked.

This led me to try and burn all the files seperately. I found a file which was when tried to be copied caused the pc to crash. I couldn't delete it due to the pc crashing, and it didn't have a virus. So I formatted that partition using Partition Magic 8 boot disks as it freezes up if using the format option from the properties - format option, if right clicking on the drive itself from My computer.

It is now formatted. All seems ok. BUT if i try to format the drive now using the above way it still freezes. Using the Partition Magic boot disks is fine.

Any ideas what has happened.

Thanks in advance

eccomputers 23:09 03 Jun 03

I suggest you go to the manufacturers web site and download their specific test software. If there is a problem with the drive, this will detect it and many times repairs the fault.

The Transporter 11:10 04 Jun 03

and downloaded there hard drive tools, it says it is a defective drive. In their help section they recommend formatting the partition with Zero's which should cure the problem.

I am yet to try that although it is formatting properly now.

Thanks again eccomputers

The Transporter 11:11 04 Jun 03

and downloaded there hard drive tools, it says it is a defective drive. In their help section they recommend formatting the partition with Zero's which should cure the problem.

I am yet to try that although it is formatting properly now.

Thanks again eccomputers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…