Suddenly, can't get my emails

pj123 15:25 24 Sep 04

Running Win98SE, IE6 OE6. Yesterday tried to check my emails (usually about 23 to 28). No go. All I get is error messages after about 2 minutes, saying something like "unable to find server" or "cannot log on to host" etc... Check your setting in Tools, Accounts. Did that and no changes made. Ran Adaware - nothing. Ran Spybot - nothing. Ran AVG - again nothing.

Spent all this morning cleaning up my computer still no difference. I can get all my emails by logging into NTL website and clicking on webmail no problem. Just found as a last resort I shutdown Outpost firewall and lo and behold I can now access my emails via OE. So it looks like Outpost is causing the problem. As I don't want to be without a firewall does anyone know how to setup Outpost again to access my email via OE. It was OK up until yesterday.

Lionheart ? 15:40 24 Sep 04

Open Outpost, click Options/Application see if OE is being blocked, if it is not there, you can add it yourself to let Outpost allow OE

Diodorus Siculus 15:40 24 Sep 04

I don't use Outpost but would imagine that it has an option to determine what programs are granted acess / what denied.

If no go, try opening the relevant port: 110 I think.

end 15:45 24 Sep 04

I use both
win 98se and IE6
plus web based e mail;

I still cannot understand why people insist on using OE to access their e mails, when they can be read straight off the server:)

at least that way you can always get to and read your mesages:)

pj123 15:52 24 Sep 04

Lionheart ?. Brilliant. Did that and found OE was blocked. How that happened I don't know. But now everything back to normal. Thanks a lot.

Ticked.

Lionheart ? 16:54 24 Sep 04

Glad that sorted it :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…