Sudden Slow down in Wireless Speed

Kenjiro 20:50 22 Oct 07

Can anybody help me, i have a problem with my wireless network.

I have a BT Voyager 2091 router working with a Broadcom 802.11b/g wireless adapter on my laptop. My ISP is AOL and I use IE browser not AOL's browser application.

When i first set up the network (with a desktop as well) everything was working fine. Downloads were coming in at >200KB/s at times, pages were loading very quickly and connection was permanent.

Recently (about 1-2 months ago) the connection slowed down dramatically. Downloads are now a painful 15KB/s, pages take an age to load and 50% of the time they do not load at all. When the connection slows to zero, if I visit the router address its shows that the connection (username/password authentication) is lost. The connection re-establishes within a minute or 2 but is slow again.

Has anybody had the same as this happen or can they explain what may be happening?
My Speed is touted as 54Mbps and signal strength is Very Good/Excellent.
When the connection is slow but working the diagnostics say:

Test the connection to your local network
Test your Ethernet Connection: DOWN
Test your USB Connection: DOWN
Test your Wireless Connection: PASS

Test the connection to your ADSL service provider
Test ADSL Synchronization: PASS
Test ATM OAM F5 segment ping: FAIL
Test ATM OAM F5 end-to-end ping: FAIL

Test the connection to your Internet service provider
Test PPP server connection: PASS
Test authentication with ISP: PASS
Test the assigned IP address: PASS
Ping default gateway: FAIL

Any suggestions?
Many Thanks

dms05 21:53 22 Oct 07

Have you tried resetting your router?

ambra4 23:49 22 Oct 07

Reboot the router by power it off and back on will refresh the connect to you ISP servers

irishrapter 06:20 23 Oct 07

Any Encryption running?
If so, what type?

Kenjiro 08:52 23 Oct 07

Thanks, I will try a hard reset tonight.

How do I check if i have any encryption running?

Kenjiro 17:49 23 Oct 07

Ok, i have tried a router reset and this has not had any effect.

Re: Encryption. I have found the router page which details the encryption. I seem to be using 128 bit WEP - 'Open System'.

My wireless network is not hidden SSID. Using channel 6 on auto transmission mode and speed.

One thing I did remember today, when the connection was great I think Windows was configuring the connection because a list of available networks was present when going to the 'View Wireless Connections" option. When i was connected there was a Green signal strength graphic (mobile phone style) in the icon bar, this showed speed,strength and IP address if i remember correctly.

Now, the "View Wireless Networks" option shows no available networks (says windows isn't configuring the connection) and in the icon bar there is no Green signal strength graphic. Just a connection icon showing speeds of 48-54 Mbps and a Internet Connection icon showing speeds of 8.1Mbps.

Does this sound right? Sorry to overload with information.

Thanks in advance.

irishrapter 19:11 23 Oct 07

When you reset the router did the WEP key change or is it still the default key?

There could be a possibility that someone is using your internet, which would explain the slow down. WEP encryption is very easy to crack, if you can try to use WPA.

Or disable the wireless service on the router and try using an Ethernet cable for a while and see if your speed increases.

Kenjiro 08:00 24 Oct 07

Thanks for the help IR, I tried using ethernet last night and it was considerably quicker. This makes me very suspicous of my vunerable wireless connection.

I checked my wireless adaptor and router, both claim that WPA is available. I tried switching to WPA via the 'Wireless' settings on the router homepage and lost my connection completely.

Plugging the ethernet cable back in, the router homepage informs me that i cannot 'enable the wireless connection'. This is a check box which in this security configuration will not remain checked.

Is there more to changing from WEP to WPA than just switching via the router homepage and entering a strong password?

Cheers

HCOOH 09:56 24 Oct 07

When you change to WPA you need to make up a key for the router and then apply the same key to your computer otherwise it will not connect.

Perhaps you would care to try this and see what other networks are nearby and which channels they are using, it may be interference and you could possibly select a channel that is not being used by others. If possible use a channel about 5 away from the others.

click here
Netstumbler 0.4.0 is the one

pchelper001 18:30 01 Nov 07

i had this problem. When we first started with aol, the connection was lightning fast at about 1.5mbps but over the past year the connection has gone to about 120kbps. We rang aol and they say that in some areas, they will just have loss of connection to the broadband server (aol). So basically when we lose connection, the broadband cannot connect to aol. We enduly complained and they said they couldnt do anything and to leave it. Sorry it doesnt solve much, but it might give you an explanation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…