sudden problem with Windows file protection

Brumas 19:09 30 Jun 05

Out of the blue a dialogue box containing the following message appeared

Windows File Protection

Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Insert your Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD now.

I do so only to be told that the CD you provided is the wrong CD. Please insert the Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD into your CD-ROM drive. The CD is the correct one of course (PCA cover disk)

If I try to cancelI am told that if I keep the unrecognised file versions it may affect Windows stability.

I am running Windows XP home, I have installed and use regularly CCleaner, Adaware, Spybot A-
squared, etc. etc. I have Panda Platinum Internet Security Suite 2005 which is upto date.
I immediately ran Stinger and found nothing . What can I do? ,have I a serious problem?

VoG II 19:13 30 Jun 05
  Brumas 20:51 30 Jun 05

VoG™ ,I have tried to comply but the verification box gets halfway then I am told...

Files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache...please insert the XP Home sp2 disk.
Then it says it is the wrong one again etc.

The advice given in your link, other then to run the SFC, is beyond me. Is there now another solution that you could 'walk' me through?.My computer only came with the System Restore Disks and not the Windows XP home disk.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds as I am now panicking a wee bit!!

Brumas 20:57 30 Jun 05

I also observe that my recycle bin shows it needs emptying - when I open it there is nothing in it. If I click on 'to empty it' the confirm file delete dialogue box asks me if I want to delete WINDOWS !!! Also everything is very very slow..

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:24 30 Jun 05

sfc /scannow problems
click here

VoG II 21:30 30 Jun 05

You need to use click here that Fruit Bat /\0/\ and I posted and get SFC to look at your i386 folder instead of a CD.

Brumas 22:08 30 Jun 05

Fruit Bat /\0/\ , VoG™ I have looked at click here and I am not too embarrased to admit I really cannot understand it at all.

VoG II 22:13 30 Jun 05

I'm happy to help but what part don't you understand?

Brumas 22:32 30 Jun 05

I am not playing the sympathy card VoG™ but ever since I had a nervous breakdown and was medically retired over 8 years ago I find quite a lot of things normally taken for granted are just like Double-Dutch to me.

Assuming my problem is the #1 complaint I am unable to comply with step 1 because I do not have a Windows XP disk only the restore disks. Also I cannot understand how I would, if I could,copy this into the system root - what exactly is this? I do not understand all the text about the registry

VoG II 22:56 30 Jun 05

Sorry to hear about your problems, Brumas, but they should not prevent you from completing this successfully.

Start, Run, type in

regedit

and click OK. You are now in the Registry Editor. File | Export and save a copy to your Desktop. In the very unlikely event that things go wrong, you can double click this to restore the registry. (Or create a Restore Point.)

You should see My Computer with a + sign to the left. Click this then HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then SOFTWARE\ then Microsoft then Windows then CurrentVersion then Setup. Double click Sourcepath in the right hand window and change whatever it says to C:
Click the X to exit Regedit then restart your PC.

SFC should now look for your hard drive, not the CD.

Forum Editor 23:22 30 Jun 05

Do precisely what VoG™ said in his last post - step by step. What's going to happen is instead of the System File Checker (SFC) looking at the CD drive for the files (which is tries to do by default) it will look at your hard drive - where they are stored.

The file checker will then run through all your system files - the ones that are in use now - and compare them with the ones that are in the i386 folder on your hard drive. If there are corrupted or missing files they'll be replaced with good ones.

Don't worry if you get stuck again, or if you don't understand - just come back and ask for more help. It's what we're here for, and believe me, you can do this - it's a confidence thing. Provided you make a copy of your registry as suggested by VoG™ you'll be safe. If you make a mistake in the registry you'll be able to restore it to its current state, and you'll be back where you started.

Sleep on it, and come back fresh to the problem in the morning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…