Sudden death of PC - any suggestions?

Charlie Babbage 15:10 26 Apr 05

Recently, my computer has been suddenly shutting itself down without warning. The time period between first switching on and the shut down is variable - anything between a few minutes and over an hour. The computer can then be revived by unplugging the mains plug, plugging back in again and pushing the 'On' button on front of the midi-tower console

I'm fairly sure that the power supply from the mains to the computer is OK. The computer is plugged into a gang plug which also supplies power to the monitor and printer, neither of which are affected when computer shuts down. I've also tried replacing the cable that supplies power from the plug to the system unit without success.

Could the cause be a faulty PSU inside the case? If so, how is it that the computer can be revived? I would have thought that if the PSU failed, that would be that and it would not be possible to revive.

Is there anything else that could cause this problem. The fan is working so I don't think that overheating is a problem. Is it possible for there to be a temporary fault on the motherboard and, if so, how do I know for certain before charging ahead replacing components that may, in fact, be OK?

TIA

Charlie

Indigo 1 15:16 26 Apr 05

It sounds to me like it could be a lot of things;

1) could be a heat problem, you say the fan works but that is not really a good indication. Take off the cover and blow out all dust, pay particular attention to CPU heatsink you may need to remove the fan to get in all the corners.

2) make sure the CPU fan is working

3) blow out the PSU and check the fan

4) make sure the vents are not blocked (front and back).

Then post again with details of O/S and configuration.

SEASHANTY 15:16 26 Apr 05

If I had this problem I think I would try swapping over the PSU. I keep a new one as spare for just this purpose. Its a 400 watt model.

Den R 15:57 26 Apr 05

Help!!
For reasons best known to itself my PC has presented me with the Dreaded Blue Screen of Death with the comment
Stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated enexpectedly with a status of 0x000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

I've tried all of the different F8 start-up procedures to no avail.

Can anyone out there throw any light on the possible cause and reasons?

Running XP Home with SP2

Den R 16:00 26 Apr 05

oop's. Wrong thread

Indigo 1 16:04 26 Apr 05

Please start a new thread with this question to be sure to get full attention. It is generally not advisable to post in someone elses thread to avoid getting confusing answers.

Go to Helproom and at the top of the page is a yellow line but just above that it says "Start new subject for discussion", you should click once on the blue lettering.

medicine hat 16:11 26 Apr 05

In your other thread you mention upgrading from ME to XP. Are you satisfied that this process is not an issue in this particular problem?

Technotiger 16:14 26 Apr 05

Hi, after checking out items as suggested by Indigo 1, I would tend to agree more with SEASHANTY, that your PSU is decidedly suspect.

Cheers.

Indigo 1 16:22 26 Apr 05

Yes it could be the PSU but it could aslo be the HDD or a power connector or a fan or a loose component or even the on/off switch.

You really need to narrow it down a little before suggesting replacement parts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…