Sudden breakdown of pc

consultik 16:41 28 Aug 05

MY son was playing on his pc (Rebuilt last year,ASRock K7S41 m/B Athlon processor - can't remember what speed - prob 2200 or something, 500MB RAM, on board video) when the screen suddenly went dead. Unable to reboot using keyboard. Tried replacing screen with one i know is working - no response. On powering pc up there are no beeps, all fans working, discs power up, no response from keyboard, mouse or display. Tried reseating memory etc - no change. Do I need to think about replacing the motherboard or is there something else i should try?

woodchip 16:52 28 Aug 05

PSU packed in

consultik 17:01 28 Aug 05

But surely if psu had packed in i would have no disc activity (spinning red lights etc)? Or have i perhaps had partial failure? Any easy tests to confirm/ exclude this?

woodchip 17:03 28 Aug 05

That does not mean a thing, The System is not giving a post beep when you start. That means you have a fault with the 5 volts line

woodchip 17:04 28 Aug 05

PS the PSU is the first and easiest thing to check

octal 17:05 28 Aug 05

If the PSU goes faulty usually the whole thing goes wrong.

I'm just wondering if the Hard drive is working? Do you have a system or boot up disk you could try to see if it boots from that?

woodchip 17:09 28 Aug 05

Very rare that a PSU breaks down like that

consultik 17:43 28 Aug 05

Can i test the voltage on the atx power connector with a multimeter? (when its not connected to motherboard) If so which pins do i need to test - the motherboard docs don't give me that detail.
I'll look and see if i have a system floppy somewhere.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:54 28 Aug 05

PSU TEST
click here

Gongoozler 18:54 28 Aug 05

The easiest quick test for a PSU is the measure the volts on a spare hard drive power connector. +12V is on one outer pin and +5V on the other. It is almost impossible to say for certain what causes a failure to POST, I have recently repaired a computer where it was a memory module. The suggestion by Woodchip makes sense because you can get a PSU very cheaply and it is one of the easiest parts to replace. The way I usually initally tackle a failure to POST is to disconnect everything from the motherboard except the PSU, processor with heatsink, power switch and case speaker. You should then get an error beep, and can start adding components from there. If you don't get the beep, then you know that the problem is in one of those few remaining components. Having said that - the above mentioned computer refused to POST until I fitted a stick of known good memory! Also worth a try is to reset the CMOS, that sometimes gets itself into a state that prevents POST completing.

woodchip 19:06 28 Aug 05

No you have to test while connected you should check the pin out of the Power Supply plug and put black lead to case put red in back of plug to read volts. Scroll down for pin out on the ATX 20 pin plug the cannects to the Motherboard click here If you test while not connected you are sure to blow the PSU

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…