Is this a successful POST??

Admiral Allstar 23:54 03 Aug 06

Hi

I have built a new PC using the ASUS M2N32 SLI Deluxe wireless motherboard.

However, when I turn on the PC to test whether my build is good all I get is a flashing cursor on the screen after the BIOS entry screen has gone. I do not get any beeps or a message saying no operating system is present. I have attached my speakers to the motherboards speaker connectors but no sound is heard (yes they are turned up).

I am able to access the BIOS and amend settings there. Does that mean i have passed POST??

woodchip 00:05 04 Aug 06

Remove all drive cables and all cards but leave Graphics and one stick memory. Then see if you get a beep. also press Del to see if it will go to BIOS

Admiral Allstar 00:08 04 Aug 06

woodchip

Thanks, I will try that. I CAN already access the BIOS.

phono 00:21 04 Aug 06

Once you have tried woodchip's suggestion make sur that all cables are connected properly and that all expansion cards are properly seated.

Admiral Allstar 00:27 04 Aug 06

no beep, but...i did get the message "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter.

Admiral Allstar 00:28 04 Aug 06

i will now try to add the bits one at a time.

phono 00:58 04 Aug 06

That's the way to do it. ;^)

Admiral Allstar 01:05 04 Aug 06

well, I added one bit at a time until the hard disks.

I have 2 x Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 2500KS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM

I have tried three different cables (one of which is western digital). but each time i only get the flashing cursor, not the "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" message.

any ideas?? is ther a bios setting for sata drives ? I cant see one but its the first time i have used one. i have tried different power cables on the psu aswell.

.:?:. 01:08 04 Aug 06

Can you see the hard disks in BIOS?

Admiral Allstar 01:10 04 Aug 06

yes.

phono 01:20 04 Aug 06

Have you tried booting from an XP CD and seeing if it recognises the drive(s) and attempts an install?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…