Subwoofer - continuous booming/hum

Jimbolena 17:07 12 Jul 08

Hi

I have a Philips PC400 5.1 speaker system on my XP (SP3) PC. Speakers have worked fine for 18 months plus.
Recently the subwoofer emits a continual pure low booming / low hum sound. (No crackling, no squealing)

I'm pretty sure this is just a sub woofer speaker problem as it makes the noise even when the PC is off!

I have not changed the position of the subwoofer or changed anything else in months.

Turning volume up/down has no effect on volume of this sound.

I have seen on another post to try to move cables - which ones there are loads!!

Any ideas? Many thanks in advance.

Pineman100 18:25 12 Jul 08

I'm nothing like an expert on this, but one idea occurs to me (that will at least bump you up the forum list again!)

Is there a transformer near the speaker?

ambra4 18:34 12 Jul 08

Power off the unit and unplug and plug back in the cables one at a time and than power on the unit

It could just be a earthling problem

Pineman100 18:38 12 Jul 08

As opposed to an alien problem? ;o)

DieSse 20:24 12 Jul 08

"It could just be a earthling problem"

I know that was unintentional, but it's very very funny!

Yes - earthing problems are a frequent cause of low frequency hums and the like.

Does it do it when the PC is actually unplugged from the mains?

If it's got a two pin plug only, try turning the plug round - if it's a "figure8" plug at the subwoofer, you can turn it round at that end.

DieSse 20:25 12 Jul 08

I think I'll use that instead of "operator error" next time I need to!!

grey george 20:30 12 Jul 08

Sounds like a mains hum. Maybe the power supply have you got a spare?

Jimbolena 13:48 13 Jul 08

I have tried unplugging all the leads one at a time from the subwoofer to see which one is causing the hum. I have moved all the cables/transformers around, reseated all cables/jacks in the back of the PC ...

... and come to no firm conclusion yet!

I think it is an earthling problem as there have been no UFOs round here recently.

I will check PSU - thanks for all suggestions. Unfortunatly it isn't a figure of eight job though. Will post again after sorting it out.

JIm

ambra4 15:10 13 Jul 08

Sorry Jimbolena written in haste on the way out “earthling problem should be earthing problem”

silverous 16:24 13 Jul 08

I get this if my subwoofer is too close to a power socket. Try moving it away from one if it is?

Pineman100 19:04 14 Jul 08

... when I sked whether there's a transformer neat the speaker, I didn't mean click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5