Substitute for a PCI card?

coinneach 21:03 22 Jun 06

Can anybody tell me what a USB Network Adapter does? I'm wanting to network 2 PCs (wired connection since they are both on the same desk!)so that they share my BTBroadband service. The older of the two doesn't have an ethernet port or a network card. There's no room on the motherboard to install a PCI card. Would the Adapter provide an alternative or does it have a different role?

coinneach

Nazzarenu Boy 21:45 22 Jun 06

Visit click here

maybe it can help

ade.h 22:04 22 Jun 06

You are barking up the wrong tree. A USB adapter (though it's actually a receiver, so I don't think that they should be described as adapters) is intended to be a cheap and simple way of receiving a wireless signal. It has nothing at all to do with Ethernet networks.

ade.h 22:04 22 Jun 06

Please do not link directly to a file download.

mgmcc 22:21 22 Jun 06

<<< Can anybody tell me what a USB Network Adapter does? >>>

A "USB Network Adapter" performs essentially the same function as its PCI card equivalent and they are available as either 10/100Mbps "wired" ethernet adapters or 802.11g Wireless Network adapters.

To avoid the 12Mbps speed limitation of USB 1.1, you would need to use USB 2.0 adapters in conjunction with USB 2.0 ports in the PC.

This is the USB ethernet adapter that I have, but mine is fairly old now and pre-dates USB 2.0 - click here

coinneach 15:28 23 Jun 06

Thanks a lot, folks. That's all I wanted to know.

coinneach

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…