submitting sitemap to google

sugarbabe 19:13 16 Oct 06

HI i have entered my sitemap on google webmaster and it is showing errors, as unrecognised format. It is same way I have always done it so cannot work out what is wrong.

click here

sugarbabe 19:14 16 Oct 06

Sorry that links dead try this

click here

Sethhaniel 09:33 17 Oct 06

Found an extra and/or out of place document type declaration (<!DOCTYPE ... >). Every HTML and XHTML document should have one and only one document type declaration, and it should normally be the first line of the document. An exception is for XML documents where the first line is normally the XML declaration (<?xml ... >) and the second line is the document type declaration.
<html><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
----------------------------------------------------------

Analysis by :-

click here

TOTAL_HTML - Congratulations, the total number of HTML files on this page (including the main HTML file) is 1 which most browsers can multithread. Minimizing HTTP requests is key for web site optimization.
TOTAL_OBJECTS - Congratulations, the total objects on this page (including the HTML) is 2 which most browsers can multithread. Minimizing HTTP requests is key for web site optimization.
TOTAL_IMAGES - Congratulations, the total number of images on this page is 1 . Most browsers can send multiple requests, which can speed display of multiple images.
TOTAL_SIZE - Congratulations, the total size of this page is 7740 bytes. This page should load in less than eight seconds on a 56Kbps connection - or 1.54 seconds. But there's always room for improvement.
HTML_SIZE - Congratulations, the total size of this HTML file is 7691 bytes, which less than 20K. Assuming that you specify the HEIGHT and WIDTH of your images, this size allows your page to display content in well under 8 seconds, the average time users are willing to wait for a page to display without feedback.
IMAGES_SIZE - Congratulations, the total size of all your images is 49 bytes, which is less than 15K. Ideally each image should be less than 1160 bytes, to easily fit into one TCP-IP packet.
MULTIM_SIZE - Congratulations, the total size of all your external multimedia files is 0 bytes, which is less than 4K.

JWJ 09:35 17 Oct 06

Sitemaps submitted to Google need to be in either xml format or plain text. Your sitemap is in html, which is fine for your visitors, but is not what Google Sitemaps is looking for.

The simplest version is a simple list of your various pages urls like ...
http......yourdomain/page1.htm
http......yourdomain/page2.htm
etc
which should be saved as sitemap.txt.

The more sophisticated version is the xml one which includes additional 'instructions' about each page. The format is explained here click here

I have all 3 types on my site, the html for my visitors and the xml and txt for Google. I have yet to be convinced of the benefits of the last two. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…