Submission to search engines

Janet99 11:58 21 May 03

Hi everyone,

Is there a cheap and effective way to submit my website to the main search engines?
Also how often are you allowed to re-submit as I have heard you can be banned for over submission.

I have tried a number of manual submissions but can't get any rankings.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have.

MichelleC 12:19 21 May 03

If you download WebPosition Gold 2 (free) it'll give you all you need to know. It's powerful and good.

Another trick in upping rankings is to get a lot of sites linking to you also.

_Treb_ 13:09 21 May 03

Apparently it can take about 3 months before you get rankings.

Janet99 16:16 21 May 03

MichelleC & _Treb_,

Thanks very much for the info. I will try Webposition Gold & let you know how I get on.

_Treb_ I take your point over the time it can take but I worry that I'm not even "in the works"
so to speak. Is there any way to tell - other than waiting 3 months to find out?

I have to say it never ceases to amaze me how helpful & informative this board is!

pj123 21:52 21 May 03

Just tried Webposition Gold 2 - it isn't "free" it costs $149. It is only a trial version that is free. trial versions don't usually do anything other than explain what can be done.

Forum Editor 22:16 21 May 03

that could effectively get you a high ranking with the major engines we would all be using it, and we would all have sites at the top of the rank.

There's no secret formula to getting a high ranking, although there are certainly some commonsense pointers. Search engines aren't that mysterious, despite what some people would have you believe, and if you simply publish your site and do nothing it will eventually be listed anyway. Search engines have web bots (sometimes called spiders) which inspect web sites by the thousand every day. They test hyperlinks,look for adult content, and they look at the domain name. A site that's hosted in ISP free web space isn't going to come high in any engine's ranking.

There is one sure way of getting a good listing, and that's to pay for it. Search engines are tapping this relatively new source of revenue with entusiasm, and if you've got the money you can see your site riding high.

Submitting to engines can be a complex and time-consuming process, and it's a subject that crops up repeatedly whenever I'm advising clients. The best advice I can give is that you make sure your site is clean and tidy - by that I mean that all hyperlinks work properly, all navigation buttons point to the right locations, all images load properly etc. Then, when the web bots come visiting they'll give the site the thumbs up for listing. Make sure you've included meta tags - the keywords that describe your site accurately using words that searchers might use - and do not, ever, under any circumstances, submit each page in the site separately. Submit your homepage, and leave the rest to the web bots.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…